worth the wait
It took Angelique Kerber 33 majors to win a title — sixth on the list for longest waits among women.
Streak, player, breakthrough major
49: Flavia Pennetta, 2015 U.S. Open
47: Marion Bartoli, 2013 Wimbledon
45: Jana Novotna, 1998 Wimbledon
39: Francesca Schiavone, 2010 French Open
34: Sam Stosur, 2011 U.S. Open
33: Kerber, 2016 Australian Open
did you know?
• This is the first Australian Open title for a German woman since Steffi Graf in 1994 and the first Grand Slam title of any kind by a German woman since Graf won the French Open in 1999.
• Kerber had lost five of six previous matches against Serena Williams.
• Kerber made just 13 unforced errors compared to 46 for Williams.
• Williams had never lost a major final that went three sets.
• Williams had been 6-0 in Australian Open finals.