It may not have quite the polish of last year’s “Gangnam Style,” but this year’s top video on YouTube is another catchy dance tune — albeit one that looks like it was produced by Norwegian hippies on acid.
Since this is late December, all the big online sites are releasing their “most viewed” or “most searched” or “biggest stories” year-in-review lists for 2013. So far we’ve seen offerings from Bing, Yahoo, Tumblr and Facebook, among others.
But here’s one more: YouTube has identified what it calls the “top trending” videos for this year, which the Google-owned service defines as “the 10 videos that everybody talked about in 2013,” based on “views, likes, shares, searches, parodies, remixes and responses.”
No. 1 on the list is Ylvis’ “The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)” produced by tvnorge, a Norwegian duo who claim they never intended for it to be a hit. The video’s been viewed more than 275 million times and, according to Google, inspired one of the top-searched Halloween costumes of the year.
We won’t try to describe the whole list, except to say that the fourth-ranked video is comedian Steve Kardynal’s hirsute and hilarious parody of the Miley Cyrus hit “Wrecking Ball” — not to be confused with the original, which made No. 2 onYouTube’s separate list of top music videos.
trending videos for 2013
1. Ylvis – The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?) by tvnorge
2. Harlem Shake (original army edition) by kennethaakonsen
3. How Animals Eat Their Food MisterEpicMann by MisterEpicMann
4. Miley Cyrus – Wrecking Ball (Chatroulette Version) by SteveKardynal
5. baby&me / the new evian film by EvianBabies
6. Volvo Trucks – The Epic Split featuring Van Damme by VolvoTrucks
7. YOLO featuring Adam Levine & Kendrick Lamar by thelonelyisland
8. Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise by CarrieNYC
9. THE NFL: A Bad Lip Reading by BadLipReading
10. Mozart vs Skrillex. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 2 by ERB