Page 2 of 2 Previous
And Brewer is excited about the chance to play for Adelman, who appears certain to be coming back to coach the Wolves.
“Everybody loves playing for him that I’ve talked to,” Brewer said. “They say he lets you play, puts you in the right position to just make basketball plays, and he’s a good coach.”
Yes, there has been a big turnover in Wolves personnel since Brewer left, with only Kevin Love and Nikola Pekovic remaining from Brewer’s time here.
U vs. Syracuse in Maui
The Gophers men’s basketball team announced Wednesday it will play Syracuse in the opening round of the Maui Invitational on Nov. 25 in Hawaii.
That’s a nice nonconference opponent and a good tournament for the Gophers to be involved in, but it will be interesting to see if they schedule any major opponents for their home nonconference slate — something that has been almost nonexistent as of late.
Last season, the Gophers faced Duke and Memphis in a nonconference tournament, but their best nonconference opponent at home likely was North Dakota State. The 2011-12 nonconference schedule didn’t feature a single NCAA tournament team. In 2010-11 the Gophers played Wofford, which made the NCAA tournament but isn’t a big-name opponent.
Looking back, the last time the Gophers faced a decent opponent from one of the big conference schools in a traditional nonconference game at home — excluding the Big Ten/ACC Challenge — was against Iowa State in November 2006.
• According to Vikings coach Leslie Frazier, rookie free-agent wide receiver Rodney Smith of Florida State is showing real potential.
“He was an undrafted kid, and he’ll have a chance. He’s tall, has good hands, decent speed; we’ll see how he does once we put the pads on. He has a chance [to play]. He’s working hard. I think he has a legitimate chance.”
• The Aspire Company, hired by the Gophers athletic department to sell tickets, has generated sales of $1.8 million during the past fiscal year. The word is the company is paid a 10 percent commission on the sales.
• To date Gophers students have purchased 1,281 football season tickets, 708 for men’s basketball and 1,341 for men’s hockey.
• Former Hopkins wide receiver Andre McDonald, who was suspended last year by the Gophers and didn’t make the trip to the Meineke Bowl, is in school and has been reinstated as a member of the team.
• Apparently, former Wolves coach Kurt Rambis is close to rejoining the Lakers as an assistant coach and is helping the team in the summer league. Former Wolves forward Mark Madsen also has joined the Lakers staff at the summer league.
• Twins closer Glen Perkins became the seventh former Gopher to be named to the Major League Baseball’s All-Star Game. The others are Dave Winfield, Paul Molitor, Terry Steinbach, Greg Olson, Denny Neagle and Dan Wilson.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
|San Diego||12/12/13 7:25 PM|
|SW Oklahoma St||55||FINAL|
|San Diego St||70|
|(13) Oklahoma State||24|
|(16) Arizona State||14|
|(1) Florida State||45|
|(7) Ohio State||24||FINAL|
|(4) Michigan State||34|
|(21) Fresno State||24|
|Army||12/14/13 2:00 PM|
|(10) Penn State||77||FINAL|
|Central Conn St||82||FINAL|
|(12) South Carolina||76||FINAL|
|Cal State Fullerton||52||FINAL|
|(20) Iowa State||79|
|Stephen F Austin||83||FINAL|
|Long Beach St||67||FINAL|
Poll: What's the best sports rivalry involving a Twin Cities sports team?