10 Things to Know for Monday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- May 25, 2014 - 8:25 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. POLITICAL 'EARTHQUAKE' IN EUROPE
Far-right and Euroskeptic parties make sweeping gains as voters in 21 EU countries go to the polls.
2. POPE MAKES PUSH FOR PEACE
Visiting the Holy Land, Francis arranges a meeting between the Israeli and Palestinian presidents at the Vatican — while repeatedly backing Palestinians' aspirations for statehood.
3. EXIT POLLS: CANDY TYCOON WINS UKRAINE PRESIDENCY
Petro Poroshenko's Willy Wonka-like chocolate stores and candies are on sale in every kiosk across the country, helping lead to the perception that he is the "good tycoon."
4. OBAMA MAKES SURPRISE TRIP TO AFGHANISTAN
He says that although most U.S. troops will leave for home in the coming months, the military will likely still maintain a limited role in the country.
5. HOW CALIFORNIA RAMPAGE MIGHT HAVE BEEN FORESEEN
The suspect's family says they called police to warn them of disturbing videos he had been posting online — but sheriff's deputies say they never saw the videos until it was too late.
6. POLAND'S GEN. WOJCIECH JARUZELSKI DIES AT 90
The country's last communist leader was best known for his 1981 martial-law crackdown on the Solidarity union.
7. US MARKS MEMORIAL DAY
Planned across the nation are somber ceremonies, flag plantings at cemeteries, parades, and family get-togethers.
8. WHO'S FASHIONABLY DRESSED IN CAP AND GOWN
Emma Watson, the actress who played Hermione Granger in the "Harry Potter" movies, graduates with a bachelor's in English from Brown.
9. SWEETS MAKERS WORK TO KEEP NAMES OFF E-CIGARETTES
The companies say that manufacturers of liquid nicotine for e-cigarettes are pilfering notable brand names like Thin Mint and Tootsie Roll.
10. WHICH DRIVER RACED FASTEST AT INDY
Ryan Hunter-Reay nips Helio Castroneves at the finish line to become the first American to win the Indy 500 since 2006.
© 2015 Star Tribune