10 Things to Know for Monday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- May 4, 2014 - 8:05 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. WHAT'S TRIGGERING NEW ODESSA UNREST
Outrage over the deaths of pro-Russian activists during riots in the Ukrainian port city touched off more unrest as protesters freed their jailed allies.
2. WHO'S RELEASED AFTER QUESTIONING IN IRA KILLING
Police interrogated Sinn Fein party leader Gerry Adams for five days about whether he was involved in the 1972 killing of a Belfast mother of 10.
3. 'IT JUST WENT CRASHING DOWN'
That's how audience member Sydney Bragg described a circus accident that sent eight acrobats plummeting to the ground during a "human chandelier" performance at a Rhode Island arena.
4. RECORDS SHED LIGHT ON DOOMED S. KOREA FERRY
The ship often exceeded its cargo limit and may have been more overloaded than ever on its final journey, documents reveal.
5. U.S., NIGERIA OFFICIALS WORK TO FREE 276 GIRLS
"The kidnapping of hundreds of children by Boko Haram is an unconscionable crime, and we will do everything possible to support the Nigerian government to return these young women to their homes," U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said from Ethiopia.
6. FAMILIAR NAMES BACK ON FLORIDA, GEORGIA BALLOTS
U.S. House candidate Gwen Graham and U.S. Senate hopeful Michelle Nunn hold up their retired politician fathers as examples of what kind of elected officials they would be: old-style moderate Southerners.
7. WHY MORE ULTRA-ORTHODOX JEWS ARE JOINING ISRAELI MILITARY
Israel recently passed a contentious law to gradually increase ultra-Orthodox enlistment.
8. 'YOUNG' BLOOD REJUVENATES AGING MICE, STUDY FINDS
Older mice got stronger after they were injected with blood from younger rodents, according to research published in the journals Nature Medicine and Science.
9. MEXICAN WRESTLING, STRIPTEASE MIX IN LA STAGE SHOW
Lucha VaVoom, the esoteric hybrid of American burlesque and Mexican wrestling, is an outrageous hit that could be coming to a theater near you.
10. NETS, SPURS ADVANCE IN NBA PLAYOFFS
Brooklyn defeated the Raptors 104-103, while San Antonio beat the Mavericks 119-96 to move on to the second round.
© 2014 Star Tribune