Wizards beat Raptors 134-129 in triple OT

  • Article by: IAN HARRISON
  • Associated Press
  • February 27, 2014 - 10:10 PM

TORONTO — Trevor Ariza scored the go-ahead basket on a fast-break layup with 1:20 left in the third overtime and the Washington Wizards outlasted the Toronto Raptors 134-129 on Thursday night.

Marcin Gortat fouled out with 31 points and 12 rebounds, John Wall also had 31 points, and Ariza fouled out with 16 points and 10 rebounds for the Wizards, who won their fifth straight and improved to 2-0 since losing Nene to a knee injury.

Chris Singleton had 13 points, and Bradley Beal and Andre Miller each had 11 for Washington. The Wizards are unbeaten since a Feb. 18 home loss to Toronto.

DeMar DeRozan scored 34 points in 58 minutes for Toronto, and Kyle Lowry fouled out with 18 points, 10 assists and nine rebounds in 54 minutes as the Raptors lost for only the second time in their past nine home meetings with the Wizards.

Greivis Vasquez scored a season-high 26 points for Toronto, Amir Johnson fouled out with 16, and Terrence Ross scored 11 points in the first half before leaving with a sprained left ankle.

Nene sprained the MCL in his left knee in Sunday in a win over Cleveland and is expected to miss six weeks.

The Wizards are 60-61 when Nene plays and 10-34 when he doesn't since the oft-injured Brazilian was acquired in a March 2012 trade with Denver. That includes a 3-6 mark in games this season, when Nene also missed time with a sore right Achilles tendon.

Lowry fouled out as Gortat converted a three-point play with 1:45 left in the third overtime. Back-to-back turnovers by Vasquez on Toronto's next two possessions led to fast-break baskets for Ariza and Webster, putting Washington up 131-127 with a minute remaining. DeRozan cut it to two with a pair of free throws, but Wall made a layup and Garrett Temple sealed it with a free throw.

Gortat made two free throws to put Washington up 118-116 with 43 seconds left in the second overtime, and DeRozan tied it on a layup with 2.3 seconds left. Beal thought he'd won it at the buzzer, but his shot was waved off. Replay review upheld the call, sending it to a third OT.

Lowry, who missed a potential winner at the end of regulation, got the ball again in the final seconds of the first overtime but Webster blocked his driving shot.

Ross rolled his ankle when he stepped on a defender while driving to the basket at 2:15 of the second quarter. He stayed in the game to shoot his free throws, but was replaced just over a minute later and headed to the locker room for treatment. Ross did not return for the second half.

NOTES: Al Harrington was called for a flagrant foul on Toronto's Tyler Hansbrough in the second quarter. ... Lowry picked up a technical foul for arguing in the final minute of the first half. ... Toronto had won the first three meetings with Washington this season.

© 2018 Star Tribune