10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- December 2, 2013 - 8:00 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. HOW FAST NYC TRAIN WAS GOING BEFORE DERAILMENT
Data recorders reveal the rate of speed was 82 mph on a 30 mph curve, but it's unclear whether the cause of the deadly crash was human or mechanical error.
2. WHERE MORE CUSTOMERS ARE SPENDING CYBER MONDAY
Many of their purchases are made on mobile devices, showing shoppers are increasingly comfortable buying on tablets and smartphones.
3. THE GRINCH THAT MAY STEAL TAX-FREE INTERNET PURCHASES
The Supreme Court turns away appeals from Amazon.com and Overstock.com in their fight against a N.Y. court decision forcing them to remit sales tax.
4. WHO THE UN THINKS HAS A ROLE IN SYRIA ATROCITIES
A growing body of evidence points to the involvement of senior Syrian officials, including President Bashar Assad, in crimes against humanity and war crimes.
5. WHY TWINS CAN MEAN DOUBLE TROUBLE
Fertility experts are now pushing for in vitro fertilization with a single embryo, citing much higher risks of prematurity and serious health problems with multiple births.
6. BIGGEST TEST REMAINS FOR GOVERNMENT HEALTH CARE SITE
If HealthCare.gov becomes overwhelmed by an expected year-end crunch, many Americans will be left facing a break in their insurance coverage.
7. SOCIETAL DIVIDE FUELS THAI CONFLICT
The unrest shows the majority rural poor battling an urban-based elite establishment, with both claiming to fight for democracy.
8. 'IT'S KIND OF SCARY AND YOU JUST HOPE IT QUITS'
Oklahoma resident Bill Hediger echoes the sentiments of others in the Sooner State concerned by an uptick in earthquakes there in recent years.
9. 'SINGIN' IN THE RAIN' SUIT UP FOR AUCTION
The water-soaked duds sported by Gene Kelly in the movie's famous storm scene are expected to sell for more than $20,000 at auction.
10. USC NAMES NEW HEAD COACH
Steve Sarkisian gets the nod to lead the storied Trojan football program.
© 2014 Star Tribune