10 Things to Know for Today
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- November 23, 2012 - 6:15 AM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHY BLACK FRIDAY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER
Americans' growing comfort with online shopping puts more pressure on brick-and-mortar stores, which depend so heavily on the holiday season.
2. WHAT BLACK LEADERS WANT FROM OBAMA
They say they don't want the middle and working class to bear the brunt of the looming "fiscal cliff" of tax increases and spending cuts.
3. D.C. ON RECORD PACE FOR FEWEST HOMICIDES
The number of murders in the nation's capital is on pace to finish lower than 100 for the first time since 1963.
4. EGYPTIANS SET TO PROTEST AGAINST MORSI
Decrees concerning the judiciary and a new constitution are seen as the latest power grab by the leader of the powerful Muslim Brotherhood.
5. WHAT ISRAELIS THINK ABOUT THE CEASE-FIRE WITH HAMAS
A poll finds about half believe the government should have continued its military offensive against the Palestinian militants.
6. ALL ABOARD A PARTY TRAIN TO VEGAS
The long trip from Southern California to Sin City is about to get bigger, better and boozier.
7. 140 CARS AND TRUCKS IN TEXAS HOLIDAY PILEUP
A big crash in extremely dense fog near Beaumont kills two motorists and sends dozens to hospitals.
8. MEXICO WANTS TO BOOT THE U AND THE S
Its formal name is "The United Mexican States" and President Felipe Calderon wants to make it simply "Mexico."
9. HALLE BERRY'S EX ARRESTED FOR ALLEGED BATTERY
The Oscar-winning actress and her model ex-boyfriend have been involved in a custody dispute involving their 4-year-old daughter.
10. JETS CRASH AND BURN AGAINST PATRIOTS
New England scores a staggering 21 points in 52 seconds en route to a 49-19 blowout of New York
© 2016 Star Tribune