10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- November 20, 2012 - 8:00 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. HOPE SEEN FOR AN ISRAEL-HAMAS CEASE-FIRE
A diplomatic push gains steam but airstrikes and rocket attacks between both sides continues.
2. DOCTORS GROUP FAVORS OVER-THE-COUNTER BIRTH CONTROL
Momentum may be building, but no one expects the pill to be sold without a prescription soon.
3. WHY THE FED CHAIRMAN IS URGING CONGRESS TO AVOID THE `FISCAL CLIFF'
Bernanke says solving the crisis would help cut unemployment and strengthen growth.
4. HOSTESS LIVES TO DIE ANOTHER DAY
The maker of Twinkies fails to reach deal with second biggest union, so company will continue liquidation plan.
5. SYRIAN REBELS SEIZE MILITARY BASE, WEAPONS TROVE
The capture is a sharp blow to the government's efforts to roll back rebel gains.
6. DEFENSE SECRETARY SAYS WAR ON AL-QAIDA TAKING NEW DIRECTION
Panetta says the campaign will feature the use of small U.S. strike forces, more partnering with foreign commandos.
7. WHAT SANDY IS DOING TO NORTHEAST THANKSGIVING TRAVELERS
The storm damaged thousands of vehicles, creating a rental car shortage and bringing hefty prices.
8. SANDY WRECKAGE CLEANUP A MASSIVE TASK
Sanitation departments work around the clock to clear streets of hundreds of thousands of tons of debris.
9. U.S. WEST, MEXICO MAY HAVE WAY TO END TUG-OF-WATER
Neighbors agree to a deal that governs how much each country gets access to water.
10. ACTOR GIVES UP JOB AS ELMO VOICE
Puppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from "Sesame Street" after a second man comes forward with underage-sex allegations.
© 2017 Star Tribune