Man killed by Brooklyn Center police had prison sentence hanging over his head

  • Article by: DAVID CHANEN , Star Tribune
  • Updated: September 11, 2013 - 5:36 PM

An attorney for the officer says a traffic stop turned into “a life-or-death struggle” before the shooting.


Aug. 23: This is the scene where there was a fatal police officer involved shooting on Shingle Creek Pkwy in Brooklyn Center, Minn.

Photo: Richard Sennott, Star Tribune

CameraStar Tribune photo galleries

Cameraview larger

Edmond Fair had a 6½-year prison sentence hanging over his head when a Brooklyn Center police officer fatally shot him in a struggle that broke out during a traffic stop last week.

A warrant had been issued for Fair’s arrest when he missed a July 30 sentencing hearing for his role in the 2011 kidnapping and rape of a woman. When officers stopped the van he was driving about 2 a.m. Friday on Shingle Creek Parkway near the entrance to Interstate 694, he told them that there was a warrant and that he didn’t want to go back to jail, said attorney Michael Padden, who is representing Fair’s girlfriend in a lawsuit focused on getting back the van, which belonged to her.

Padden said all four passengers in Fair’s van told him that Fair, 24, was in handcuffs when he was shot in the chest by officer Ryan Soliday.

On Wednesday, Paul Rogosheske, the officer’s attorney, denied that, saying that Fair was being placed under arrest but wasn’t fully cuffed when he was shot.

Without offering more details, Rogosheske said Soliday and the other officer on the scene were engaged in “a life-or-death struggle” with Fair before he was shot.

Rogosheske said that he has handled more than 100 critical incidents involving officers and that he is confident Soliday will be cleared of any criminal wrongdoing by a grand jury. “I feel for the family of the victim, but this was a good shoot,” he said. “The officers take no joy in all of this.”

The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the officer-involved shooting and has declined to comment.

Soliday was placed on paid administrative leave, standard procedure in such cases. Since being hired by the department in January 2010, he has had no disciplinary action taken against him and has received five Chief’s Certification of Commendations and a Merit of Achievement award.

Witnesses saw no use of hands, arm

Padden reiterated Wednesday that all of Fair’s passengers have told him that Fair was handcuffed when he was shot.

He said they told him that after the van was stopped, Fair didn’t resist when Soliday handcuffed him. He was sitting on a curb and tried to stand up when Soliday grabbed him around the neck and struggled to pull him down, the passengers said, according to Padden. That’s when Fair was shot.

“Edmond didn’t have the use of hands and arm,” he said. “This is why we have courts of law to resolve factual disputes.”

Padden filed suit Wednesday on behalf of Kelia Gregory, Fair’s girlfriend of four months. Fair was driving her van on Friday, and officers impounded it. Padden said the van had no connection to Fair’s death and asked that it be returned.

Later Wednesday, the Sheriff’s Office told him that it would be given back. “My client is elated that she will be getting her van back. We appreciate Sheriff [Rich] Stanek’s assistance with helping her out in this regard,” he said.

Many encounters with the law

Gregory said she had known Fair since they met in church in 2007. He was helping his mother’s elderly neighbor with house repairs the day he was shot, she said.

Public records show that Fair had many brushes with the law even before he pleaded guilty to kidnapping in May.

  • related content

  • Edmond Fair

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions


Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters