Page 2 of 2 Previous

Continued: Montevideo man's terror attack against police foiled, FBI says

Photos in his Facebook account show him with various firearms, along with several people with guns and wearing clown makeup. There were also more postings such as: “ever one better get your guns ready cuz there comeing FEMA” and “The war is here tsa agents are doing random cheeks and shooting people for no reson.”

The plot was discovered and subsequently thwarted through the “timely analysis of intelligence and through the cooperation and coordination” among several federal, state and local agencies, the FBI statement said.

J. Christopher Warrener, the FBI’s special agent in charge in Minneapolis, said the action prevented “a potential tragedy in Montevideo.”

FBI spokesman Kyle Loven said Monday that “there is no indication of any overseas involvement” with the alleged plot. Loven would not address the timing of any potential attack or what was at risk of being attacked. He also would not say whether authorities were looking at other suspects.

During Rogers’ appearance Monday, U.S. District Judge Tony Leung asked Rogers whether he owned a vehicle or home or other assets. He replied, “No, sir.”

Rogers, a construction worker employed by J&D Construction, a company that manufactures grain bins, indicated he had been there for the past four to five months. When the judge asked him whether he still had a job, Rogers replied, “I don’t know.”

Rogers has a criminal record. He was arrested and charged with burglary, weapons theft, drug possession and intent to escape a motor vehicle tax in 2011, according to state records. A year earlier, he was booked for intent to escape a tax and theft, records show.

In an interview with authorities, Rogers admitted firing a weapon on two separate occasions at a gun range in Granite Falls, Minn., the affidavit said. Rogers’ conviction in 2011 for felony burglary in Lac qui Parle County meant he is not allowed to have a firearm. He also has a 2009 misdemeanor conviction for dangerous handling of a weapon in Hennepin County, as well as other criminal violations, according to online court records.

Kevin Lancaster, who manages a convenience store near the mobile home park where the arrest occurred, said he met Rogers about a year or a year and a half ago through a friend.

“He pulled a 9-millimeter [handgun] out of his pocket,” Lancaster recalled Monday. “I thought, ‘This isn’t a guy I want to know.’ ”

 

Star Tribune staff writer Nicole Norfleet contributed to this report.

Paul Walsh • 612-673-4482

  • related content

  • Site of FBI raid

  • Photo gallery: Montevideo terror attack foiled

    Tuesday May 7, 2013

    Montevideo man's terror attack against police foiled, FBI says. Authorities said Monday, May 6, that Buford Rogers was arrested,...

  • Authorities arrest Buford Rogers, right, during a raid on a mobile home in Montevideo, Minn.

  • Buford Rogers

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

question of the day

Poll: Grade the All-Star Game experience

Weekly Question

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close