Advertisement

Judge orders federal government to release man who crashed after fleeing ICE in St. Paul

The judge said the government has offered no evidence or argument to keep him detained as his immigration status case continues.

The Minnesota Star Tribune
February 19, 2026 at 6:35PM
An injured driver, with a towel covering his face for privacy reasons, is loaded into an ambulance Feb. 11 after a multivehicle crash involving an apparent pursuit by federal agents near the corner of Selby and Western avenues in St. Paul. (Leila Navidi/The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Advertisement

A Honduran national who fled in a car from ICE agents, crashed in St. Paul and was detained must be released from federal custody as the government continues its effort to deport him, a judge has ruled.

The multivehicle wreck occurred about 9:30 a.m. on Feb. 11 at the largely residential intersection of Selby and Western avenues in the Cathedral Hill area of the city.

Upon his release from Regions Hospital, the 21-year-old St. Paul resident was taken to the Sherburne County jail and held without bond as immigration officials sought his removal from the United States.

The man petitioned the court for his release from jail. The U.S. Attorney’s Office pushed back in a filing, explaining the man has known he’s been in the country illegally ever since he was detained and released on his own recognizance soon after he crossed the U.S.-Mexican border on Nov. 15, 2022.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office made no reference that the man was being pursued for any crime he may have committed beyond the illegal entry allegation, let alone being among “the worst of the worst” sought during the ongoing federal immigration enforcement campaign in Minnesota.

“As in previous cases,” U.S. District Judge John Gerrard wrote, “the government has provided neither evidence nor argument that officials have conducted any proceedings necessary to revoke a release. In this case, the government hasn’t even produced as much as an administrative warrant.”

Gerrard’s order requires federal officials to notify the court by Feb. 20 of the man’s release from custody.

The man’s attorney, Lauren M. Rossitto, said it was not clear as of midday Feb. 19 whether he was ever moved out of Minnesota while in federal custody, as have other detainees, or whether he’s been released yet.

Advertisement

If the man has been moved out of the state, the judge said his release must occur in Minnesota.

Court records show no state or federal criminal charges filed so far against the man in connection with the crash. The Minnesota Star Tribune generally does not identify people before they are charged.

Witness to the crash

Brandon Reader told the Star Tribune he had just dropped off his son at school that morning and parked on Western Avenue, intending to walk over to a coffee shop.

Before he could get out of his vehicle, Reader recalled, “I saw this Prius come barreling down the road crazy fast [southbound on Western].”

Reader said a vehicle, with sirens blaring and lights flashing, was less than a car length behind.

The Prius driver ran a stop sign and collided with a car appearing to turn into his path, the witness said. The Prius then hit a minivan before striking an icy mound of snow, going airborne and landing on the other side of the wintry mass, Reader said.

Advertisement
Federal agents and St. Paul police officers stand at the scene of the Feb. 11 multivehicle crash. (Leila Navidi/The Minnesota Star Tribune)

The pursuing vehicle stopped behind the Prius, and an officer in federal agent clothing and gear got out, said Reader, who added that the agent appeared to be alone at the time.

In the meantime, Reader continued, the Prius driver climbed out his door’s window and fled on foot but was soon brought back to the scene in a different federal agent’s vehicle.

He said many more federal agents arrived, as did numerous St. Paul police officers.

An ambulance showed up about 20 minutes after the crash, and the Prius driver was put on a gurney and driven away, Reader said.

In a statement, St. Paul Mayor Kaohly Her said that “because of the reckless way that ICE is running their operation, one person ended up in the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, and several bystanders had their cars damaged.”

about the writer

about the writer

Paul Walsh

Reporter

Paul Walsh is a general assignment reporter at the Minnesota Star Tribune. He wants your news tips, especially in and near Minnesota.

See Moreicon

More from St. Paul

See More
card image
Leila Navidi/The Minnesota Star Tribune

The judge said the government has offered no evidence or argument to keep him detained as his immigration status case continues.

card image
card image
Advertisement