Advertisement

3M will lay off 96 workers as Eagan filtration plant closes

Filtration plant to close, with the job cuts taking effect in late March through mid-April.

January 29, 2019 at 2:13AM
A sign in front of the 3M World Headquarters complex in suburban St. Paul.
A sign in front of the 3M World Headquarters complex in suburban St. Paul. (TNS/The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Advertisement

3M Co. plans to lay off 96 workers beginning in March as part of a previously announced closure of its filtration plant in Eagan.

The layoffs will begin March 29 and end April 12, according to a notice filed with the state under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN).

The job losses are part of a larger realignment plan announced in December 2017 that affected 430 employees in Minnesota, Mexico and other unnamed locations.

3M — which announces fourth-quarter and year-end earnings on Tuesday — said a little over a year ago that the plant employed 150 workers. It now is down to 96.

The original plan called for the Eagan filtration plant to close by the end of 2018. The company did not say why the closure was extended by a few months.

3M spokeswoman Lori Anderson said in an e-mail Monday that the decision to close the plant stemmed from the realignment of 3M's Separation and Purification Sciences business that would allow investment in other "key growth segments" that include types of filtration products other than those made in Eagan.

About 10 of the workers from Eagan were offered jobs at 3M's campus in Maplewood. Others can apply for jobs elsewhere within 3M, officials said.

The state Department of Employment and Economic Development is providing a team of employment counselors to help displaced workers find new jobs.

Advertisement

Dee DePass • 612-673-7725

about the writer

about the writer

Dee DePass

Reporter

Dee DePass is an award-winning business reporter covering Minnesota small businesses for the Minnesota Star Tribune. She previously covered commercial real estate, manufacturing, the economy, workplace issues and banking.

See Moreicon

More from Business

See More
Chief Justice John Roberts left the Senate on Saturday after opening arguments by President Donald Trump's defense team. His team made only a two-hour presentation, reserving the heart of its case for Monday.
Vince Tuss — Associated Press/The Minnesota Star Tribune

Court sends 6-3 blow to economic regime, which had upended global commerce and hurt Minnesota farmers and businesses.

card image
card image
Advertisement