RIP to Bobby Shuttleworth's nose, 1987-2017.

In the 56th minute of a 2-0 win against Sporting Kansas City, the Minnesota United goalkeeper smothered the ball and proceeded to receive a kick to the face from Kansas City forward Dom Dwyer. Several minutes of stopped play and a white towel soaked with blood later, the keeper stayed in to finish out the match and claim his second shutout of the season.

"I just told them to jam some stuff in there and just get on with it," Shuttleworth said.

While this is the first time Shuttleworth has broken his nose in a nine-year Major League Soccer career, this isn't the first boot-to-head collision this season for Shuttleworth.

Back in a 2-2 draw on the road against the Houston Dynamo on April 15, Shuttleworth endured a concussion and laceration on his forehead that took him out of the match shortly before halftime. He had the stitches out a few days later and cleared concussion protocol in time to start the next weekend's match.

"He's a goalkeeper. They're nuts, most of them," United coach Adrian Heath said of Shuttleworth's toughness.

Shuttleworth said he felt "all right" after the match and wasn't experiencing any headaches.

Cosmetically, though, he's still hurting.

"I already had a big nose to begin with," Shuttleworth said. "And now it's that much bigger."

That's not a fight

With about 20 minutes left to play, United had its first MLS fight.

Or rather, a "melee" or "scuffle," according to midfielder Sam Cronin.

"It wasn't a fight," Cronin said. "We can do a better fight than that."

Cronin "didn't appreciate" Dwyer's aggressive tackle on him after a drop ball and went over to the forward to stand up for himself. Cronin said Dwyer then "flopped on the ground," before United center back and team captain Francisco Calvo entered the fray.

"When he got to the floor, I just tried to help him to get up," Calvo said. "But it just looked like I was going to kick him. I'm not that kind of guy."

Calvo said after he attempted to pick up Dwyer, Kansas City midfielder Roger Espinoza joined in and a shoving match ensued. Calvo and Dwyer both ended up with yellow cards.

"It's normal," Calvo said of the kerfuffle. "It stays on the field."