A record six defenseman, including St. Cloud State's Jimmy Schuldt, are among the 10 candidates for the Hobey Baker Award, which goes to the top player in college hockey. it was announced Wednesday.
Huskies forward Patrick Newell is also among the among the candidates. SCSU is the only team with two.
The three finalists will be announced April 4, and the winner April 12 during Frozen Four weekend.
The other candidates are defensemen Joe Duszak, Mercyhurst; Adam Fox, Harvard; Quinn Hughes, Michigan; Cale Makar, Massachusetts, and Chase Priskie, Quinnipiac, and forwards Taro Hirose, Michigan State; Mason Jobst, Ohio State, and Nico Sturm, Clarkson.
U falls to No. 6 Gators
Kendyl Lindaman, a former two-time All-America catcher for the Gophers, hit a two-run homer in the first inning as No. 6 Florida edged No. 20 Minnesota 2-0 in softball in Gainesville, Fla. She has six homers and 26 RBI this season.
Kelly Barnhill pitched a three-hitter and struck out 12 for the Gators (25-6), outdueling Amber Fiser, who gave up five hits and struck out seven for the Gophers (19-9).
• Gophers senior forward Tommy Novak signed an amateur tryout contract with the Milwaukee Admirals — the AHL affiliate of Nashville. The Predators drafted him in the third round of the 2015 NHL entry draft.
• Greenway senior forward Donte Lawson, who had four goals and five assists for the runner-up Raiders in the Class 1A boys' hockey state tournament, verbally committed to Bemidji State, according to the Duluth News Tribune.
• Junior Rachel Schow of the Gophers was named the Big Ten women's track athlete of the week. She won the 400-meter hurdles (59.14 seconds) at the Hurricane Invitational in Coral Gables, Fla., and placed third in the 100 hurdles (13.99).
• Logan Hermes, the assistant hall director for residence life at Wisconsin-River Falls, was named Concordia (St. Paul)'s first Esports coach.
• Stillwater native Nicole Hause was named to USA Skateboard's first national team ever. Hause, 21, competes in women's park and placed fifth at last summer's X Games in Minneapolis. Men's and women's park and street skateboarding will make their Olympic debut at the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo.