Hoverboards, the hands-free, self-balancing scooters that were a holiday phenomenon, have become a hot potato for retailers.
For the second time in a little more than two months, Target Corp. has pulled them from its website. The halt came Monday after the government warned last week that hoverboards, which have developed a troubling record of catching fire, could be subject to recall or seizure if they do not comply with new safety standards. Wal-Mart followed suit on Tuesday.
Lee Henderson, a Target spokesman, said the retailer "paused the sale" of the Swagway and the Razor Hovertrax — the two models of hoverboards that had been for sale on Target.com — while it reviews the new guidelines.
"We take product safety very seriously at Target and are proactively working with our vendors to ensure they are compliant with these new safety standards and certification protocol," he said in an e-mail.
In addition, Target is giving customers who have purchased one of those products the option to return them.
The Minneapolis-based company was the second major retailer to temporarily stop sales of the popular gadgets amid the recent regulatory pressure. Over the weekend, Toys 'R' Us also stopped selling the Razor Hovertrax.
Wal-Mart confirmed late Tuesday that it has also pulled hoverboards from its website, saying that it will not sell them until those suppliers can prove they comply with the new guidelines.
Eden Prairie-based Evine Live was one of the early sellers of the Swagway, which often sold out last fall when the home shopping network promoted it on TV.