The three Minneapolis men convicted last month of terrorism charges related to the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) will be evaluated under the same sentencing risk assessment program applied to co-defendants who previously pleaded guilty, a federal judge said Tuesday.

But their evaluation will be conducted by officers from the U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services Office who were trained this year by a German expert on deradicalization — and not by the expert himself.

On Tuesday, Judge Michael Davis dismissed motions filed last week by attorneys for Abdirahman Daud and Guled Omar requesting that Davis order “a study to evaluate risk assessment and recommend intervention needs for de-radicalization.”

Davis said there is no need for the German scholar, Daniel Koehler, to complete such a study for Daud and Omar because the probation office has been trained in Koehler’s methods and will complete the evaluation as part of their presentencing investigation reports.

Daud, Omar, Mohamed Farah and six others who pleaded guilty in the case are each expected to be sentenced in late fall or early winter over several days, according to a courtroom deputy.

In March, as trial neared for the ISIL defendants, Davis introduced a “terrorism disengagement and deradicalization” program to give him “more information than is otherwise available” to determine appropriate sentences. He contracted with Koehler, director of the German Institute on Radicalization and De-Radicalization Studies, to assess five defendants who had pleaded guilty and to train local probation officers to study future defendants convicted of terror-related charges.

 

Twitter: @smontemayor