Advertisement

Wells Fargo dials back on debit-card rewards

Blaming Dodd-Frank, the bank no longer will offer the program to new customers.

Bloomberg News
March 26, 2011 at 1:56AM
Advertisement

Wells Fargo & Co., the bank with the biggest U.S. branch network, will no longer enroll customers in debit-card rewards programs following a proposed cap on interchange fees.

"Due to pending regulatory changes that are expected to result in a significant reduction in fees retailers pay issuers for debit-card transactions, Wells Fargo will no longer be enrolling customers in the debit-card rewards programs," Lisa Westermann, a spokeswoman at the San Francisco-based bank, said in an e-mail.

The change includes both stand-alone programs and those where customers combine their debit and credit card into a single program, Westermann wrote. Customers already enrolled in the program and credit-card holders will not be affected.

Wells Fargo's change comes in response to a Federal Reserve rule, required as part of last year's Dodd-Frank law, that would cap the fee card networks can charge merchants at 12 cents a transaction. It replaces a formula that averages 1.14 percent of the purchase price or about 44 cents.

The new policy will take effect Sunday for customers with a Wachovia Corp. account and April 15 for Wells Fargo customers, according to the e-mail. Wells Fargo purchased Wachovia in 2008.

Wells Fargo offers programs that provide cash back, travel and merchandise awards, and gift cards among other options for consumers and businesses, Westermann said.

Banks fought passage of the legislation and are working with lawmakers to derail it. Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., is the chief sponsor of a bill that would delay the rule for two years, and Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., introduced a similar measure.

If implementation is delayed or quashed, Wells Fargo may go back to offering the program, or change the policy announced Friday, Westermann said.

Advertisement

J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. will stop offering debit-card rewards for almost all of its customers in July, the bank said this week. Issuers including the largest banks could lose $12 billion in annual revenue under the change, scheduled to be implemented July 21.

Wells Fargo Chief Executive John Stumpf said limits on fees charged to merchants for debit-card transactions "make no sense" and distort free-market economics.

"What's next?" Stumpf, 57, wrote in his annual letter to shareholders, released this week. "Will the government require car dealers to sell a new vehicle for $5,000 or grocers a gallon of milk for 50 cents?"

about the writer

about the writer

DAKIN CAMPBELL

More from Business

See More
Todd Geselius, vice president of agriculture at the Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar Co-op, shows what a sugar beet looks like when it is harvested in the field on Sept. 9, 2015 in Renville, Minn. (Jim Gehrz/Minneapolis Star Tribune/TNS) ORG XMIT: 1175088 ORG XMIT: MIN1510142301350530
The Minnesota Star Tribune

Some say the MAHA movement and GLP-1 drugs hurt sugar beet farmers. The White House is blaming former President Joe Biden.

card image
card image
Advertisement