Advertisement

Travelers says Sandy damages at $650 million

Superstorm slated to be second-costliest in U.S. history

December 6, 2012 at 3:05AM
Streets are flooded under the Manhattan Bridge in the Dumbo section of Brooklyn, N.Y., Monday, Oct. 29, 2012. Sandy continued on its path Monday, as the storm forced the shutdown of mass transit, schools and financial markets, sending coastal residents fleeing, and threatening a dangerous mix of high winds and soaking rain. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews)
Streets are flooded under the Manhattan Bridge in the Dumbo section of Brooklyn, N.Y., Monday, Oct. 29, 2012. Sandy continued on its path Monday, as the storm forced the shutdown of mass transit, schools and financial markets, sending coastal residents fleeing, and threatening a dangerous mix of high winds and soaking rain. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews) (Tom Wallace — ASSOCIATED PRESS - AP/The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Advertisement

The Travelers Cos. said its net losses related to Superstorm Sandy will be about $650 million.

The New York-based insurer, which has a significant presence in St. Paul, said the gross loss pre-tax and reinsurance estimate is $1.1 billion. The estimate is based on an analysis of claims that have already been reported and those claims expected to be filed.

The October storm ravaged parts of New Jersey, New York and other areas on the East Coast. Reuters has reported that Sandy is likely to be the second-costliest disaster in U.S. history, behind only Hurricane Katrina. Industry experts estimate insured losses of as much as $25 billion, excluding claims paid by the federal flood insurance program.

Allstate Corp. said last week that it expects to report October disaster losses of $1.08 billion, mostly because of Sandy.

Travelers also said it has resumed repurchasing its shares -- activity that was suspended when Sandy hit.

Janet Moore • 612-673-7752

about the writer

about the writer

Janet Moore

Reporter

Transportation reporter Janet Moore covers trains, planes, automobiles, buses, bikes and pedestrians. Moore has been with the Star Tribune for 21 years, previously covering business news, including the retail, medical device and commercial real estate industries. 

See Moreicon

More from Business

See More
card image
Elizabeth Flores/The Minnesota Star Tribune

Waning consumer demand and volatile commodity prices have put pressure on poultry producers. Life-Science Innovations already owns other bird facilities throughout the state.

Todd Geselius, vice president of agriculture at the Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar Co-op, shows what a sugar beet looks like when it is harvested in the field on Sept. 9, 2015 in Renville, Minn. (Jim Gehrz/Minneapolis Star Tribune/TNS) ORG XMIT: 1175088 ORG XMIT: MIN1510142301350530
card image
Advertisement