Red flags will just hang like limp noodles if their flag-wavers go AWOL on breezeless days. Left unattended, those red bits of cloth will signal no warning alert, send no sense of alarm that urgent action is needed to save lives.
And the same goes for even our best-intentioned red flag laws — such as the one the Congress just approved, touching off a burst of belated bipartisan self-congratulation. Red flag laws can prove every bit as limp and useless as those bits of cloth, if the laws are left to somehow enforce themselves, by federal, state and local law enforcement officials who allow themselves to become the government's equivalents of limp noodle bureaucrats.
That is one of the tragic lessons we are now being forced to confront after a twisted young shooter, armed with new combat-style weapons he was allowed to legally purchase — despite police warnings! — rained 83 flesh-ripping combat rounds down a family-friendly July 4th parade through Chicago's picture-perfect northern suburb of Highland Park.
The director of the Illinois State Police, Brendan Kelly, wants to be sure you know his agency handled everything strictly by the book. Kelly told reporters Wednesday he believes his agency handled everything appropriately. Even when it allowed Robert E. Crimo III to buy all those weapons — despite the fact that the state police received warnings of two red flag incidents in which Highland Park police classified Crimo as a "clear and present danger."
You be the judge. (And in this case, you needed to be — because Kelly's state police never brought the matter to a court's attention before allowing the underage youth to buy his mass-killing combat weapon.) Here, Your Honors, is what Kelly's state police knew before allowing Crimo to buy his arsenal, on the grounds that it didn't have enough info to ask a judge to decide:
• In September 2019, Highland Park police went to Crimo's home after a person (name publicly withheld) warned police the then-teenager had bladed weapons and threatened to "kill everybody" in the house. Police confiscated 16 knives, a dagger and a sword. Earlier that year, police had gone to the house after receiving a report that the youth had attempted suicide.
• The Highland Park police filed what is called a "clear and present danger" report with the Illinois State Police. The youth's father, Robert E. Crimo Jr., who lives elsewhere, reportedly told police all the bladed weapons were his and his son was just holding them for him. Police gave the knives, dagger and sword to the father.
• Three months later, the youth, not yet 21, applied for a Firearm Owner's Identification card, with his father signing as his sponsor. By 2020, young Crimo owned several guns, including the rapid-firing semi-automatic rifle he allegedly used to kill seven and wound many more.