Advertisement

New home permits rose 15 percent in Twin Cities this month

June 25, 2015 at 3:51AM
Construction workers build a home in the new Lennar Homes development called The Reserve at Spring Meadows in Plymouth on Thursday, March 26, 2015. ] LEILA NAVIDI leila.navidi@startribune.com /
June numbers for new home permits were up. Above, construction workers built a home in a new Lennar Homes development called the Reserve at Spring Meadows in Plymouth. (The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Advertisement

Housing construction in the Twin Cities metro continues its seesaw recovery.

During the past four weeks, builders were issued 476 permits to build 1,150 units, according to a midyear report from the Builders Association of the Twin Cities.

That's a 15 percent increase in permits compared with last year, according to the association, which tracks permit requests for new apartments and houses in the 13-county metro area.

"After several months of disappointing numbers, we're pleased to see a boost in the market," said Chris Contreras, BATC's president and a Twin Cities-area builder.

The bulk of the gains last month came from apartment construction, which represented more than 60 percent of all planned units, including at least three big multifamily projects.

In Minneapolis, for example, Frana Cos. is planning to build a 150-unit apartment building and Ryan Cos. submitted a request for a 134-unit building.

In Maple Grove, Stonebridge Construction is building 205 units and in Chaska, Trident Development is building 138 units.

Despite double-digit gains in existing home sales across the metro, homebuilders are still struggling to create their own sustained recovery.

Advertisement

During June, builders were issued 398 permits for single-family houses, a 12 percent increase from last year and the second-most in nearly a decade. But so far this year, housing construction is down 2 percent compared with 2014.

Though all the fundamentals are strong, housing construction has been a weak spot in the economy. That appears to be changing.

Late last week, the U.S. Commerce Department said that permits to build single-family houses across the United States rose to a nearly eight-year high last month, suggesting growing momentum for the industry after several lackluster months.

The report said that building permits increased 11.8 percent to a seasonally adjusted annual pace of 1.28 million units, the highest since August 2007 and the second consecutive month of increases.

The strength of those numbers was reflected in the National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo Housing Market Index survey, which reached its highest level of the year, surpassing expectations.

"We remain disappointed in how the local new construction market has lagged both the national numbers and the local resale housing market for the year," said Contreras.

Advertisement

"We're hopeful that this trend will continue, putting the Midwest back on track with the rest of the country for an improving housing market."

Jim Buchta • 612-673-7376

Construction workers build a home in the new Lennar Homes development called The Reserve at Spring Meadows in Plymouth on Thursday, March 26, 2015. ] LEILA NAVIDI leila.navidi@startribune.com /
Construction workers build a home in the new Lennar Homes development called The Reserve at Spring Meadows in Plymouth on Thursday, March 26, 2015. ] LEILA NAVIDI leila.navidi@startribune.com / (The Minnesota Star Tribune)
about the writer

about the writer

Jim Buchta

Reporter

Jim Buchta has covered real estate for the Star Tribune for several years. He also has covered energy, small business, consumer affairs and travel.

See Moreicon

More from Business

See More
Todd Geselius, vice president of agriculture at the Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar Co-op, shows what a sugar beet looks like when it is harvested in the field on Sept. 9, 2015 in Renville, Minn. (Jim Gehrz/Minneapolis Star Tribune/TNS) ORG XMIT: 1175088 ORG XMIT: MIN1510142301350530
The Minnesota Star Tribune

Some say the MAHA movement and GLP-1 drugs hurt sugar beet farmers. The White House is blaming former President Joe Biden.

card image
card image
Advertisement