The MNsure board of directors is still two members shy of its full seven-person lineup.

In early May, board members Tom Forsythe and Kathryn Duevel cycled off the board at the state’s health insurance exchange, and replacements still hadn’t been named by Gov. Mark Dayton as of Wednesday.

When two board members cycled off last year, replacements were named by July 1.

Rep. Greg Davids, R-Preston, criticized the delay in a recent letter to Dayton, noting that MNsure is approaching a critical open enrollment period this fall as health exchanges across the country are struggling with pullbacks by insurance companies.

“While families around the state are bracing for the third straight year of premium hikes and fewer choices, MNsure remains in desperate need of experienced leadership,” Davids wrote.

A spokesman for Dayton said the appointments will be made before the next board meeting in September.

“The Governor is focused on seeking out, carefully considering, and ultimately selecting well-qualified candidates, who will best ensure that Minnesotans have access to quality, affordable healthcare,” said spokesman Sam Fettig in a statement.

Minnesota launched the MNsure exchange in 2013 to implement the federal Affordable Care Act, which requires almost all Americans to have health insurance or pay a tax penalty.

As of Tuesday, four people had applied for the open MNsure board positions, according to secretary of state officials.

MNsure’s board met in May, June and July with only five slots filled, but spokesman Shane Delaney wrote in an e-mail: “We’ve been conducting business as usual.”

Older Post

'Low-Value' Health Care Runs Up Big Bills

Newer Post

Paddock leaves U.S. Bank for Wells Fargo in San Diego