The Lynx signed draft choice former Gophers guard Carlie Wagner and Gonzaga forward Jill Barta, acquired from Las Vegas in a draft-day trade last week, and three free agents Tuesday.
The signings of Wagner, Barta and free agents G’mrice Davis, Vionise Pierre-Louis and Camille Zimmerman brings Minnesota’s roster to 18 players.
Davis, a 6-2 forward from Fordham, was third in Division I with 13.4 rebounds per game this past season.
Pierre-Louis, a 6-4 center from Oklahoma, averaged 15.9 points, 8.7 rebounds and 2.6 blocks as a senior.
Zimmerman, a 6-1 forward for Columbia University, averaged 19.5 points and 10.2 rebounds as a senior.
U coaches road trip set in May
University of Minnesota coaches and administrators will visit nine cities or towns this May on the annual Gophers spring road trip. It will begin May 7 and 8 with stops in Cannon Falls and Rochester the first day and Owatonna, Kasota and Hutchinson the second. Among the 10 coaches on the first leg of the trip will be Bob Motzko, the Gophers’ new men’s hockey coach.
The road trip will continue May 23 with stops in St. Cloud and Brainerd and May 24 with visits to Perham and Alexandria.
Loons, Bell Bank agree to partnership
Minnesota United announced a 10-year partnership with Bell Bank, which will provide a $1,000 check to a player each match next season.
The Fargo-based bank, also named a gate sponsor at United’s new Allianz Field, gave a $10,000 check to goalkeeper Matt Lampson’s LampStrong Foundation as it officially announced the partnership. Lampson is a survivor of stage 4 Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
• Carlie Wagner and Kenisha Bell were named the Gophers women’s basketball team’s co-players of the year at its awards banquet last week. Bell also was picked the most improved player and defensive player of the year. Destiny Pitts was chosen newcomer of the year and Taiye Bello received the sixth man award.
• Bethel named Chris McKelvie as its men’s hockey coach. McKelvie spent the past two seasons as an assistant coach at Army. McKelvie, a New Brighton native who played at Bemidji State, was a pro hockey player for seven years.
• Minnesota State Mankato goalie Connor LaCouvee signed with the Florida Everblades of the ECHL. He was 23-6-1 with a 1.80 goals-against average this past season as a senior.
• Wednesday’s postponed doubleheader between the Gophers and Wisconsin at Jane Sage Cowles Stadium will be played at 1 p.m. April 25.
• Tudor Flintham, the Nebraska Wesleyan men’s and women’s soccer coach the past three seasons, was named Gustavus men’s soccer coach.