Eagan police were saying little Wednesday about gunfire exchanged the previous evening between officers and a domestic assault suspect who was shot to death.

Police Chief Roger New said the incident unfolded Tuesday evening when officers responded to a 911 call involving a firearm in a business area at Burgundy Drive and Hwy. 13. There, they found the 23-year-old suspect who still had the gun and chased him on foot to the 1900 block of Seneca Road, where they began negotiating with him.

"Officers asked the man to put down his gun and follow their directions," New said. "They attempted to negotiate with the man for several hours. At some point during the negotiations, shots were fired."

The man, identified Wednesday night as Isak Abdirahman Aden of Columbia Heights, was taken to Regions Hospital, where he died of gunshot wounds.

A gun was recovered from the scene.

Authorities have not said whether police gunfire killed Aden or whether he shot himself. The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is now heading the investigation. The agency said it had nothing to add until investigators interview all the main figures in the shooting.

It's unknown how many officers were involved in the standoff, New said. Some of the officers were witnesses while others fired, "so we're still trying to come up with a final tally" of officers placed on standard paid administrative leave.

He did not say what department's officers fired their weapons.

The Apple Valley, Burnsville, Bloomington and Edina police departments assisted, along with the State Patrol, New said. Body and squad-car dash cameras were on during the incident. Officers in tactical gear responded to the scene shortly after 6 p.m. on a report of an assault in progress. Police believe Aden assaulted a woman in a car and then ran off.

According to emergency dispatch audio, Aden jumped out of a vehicle near the Twin Cities Premium Outlets shortly after the woman drove into oncoming traffic.

A some point, an officer at the scene could be heard telling dispatch that "we struck a [natural] gas line" with gunfire. He then called for fire personnel to head to the scene and for the utility to be notified.

Staff writer Liz Sawyer contributed to this report. Paul Walsh • 612-673-4482