Winter Trails Day
Fort Snelling State Park
11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday
Under the guidance of outdoors experts and enthusiasts, park visitors can try a variety of activities, with equipment and instruction provided. Guided hikes will take place every half-hour, from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Adults and kids also can try fat biking, tracking and archery. Activities will be set up near the beach area. Winter Trails Day is a collaboration between the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources’ state parks and trails, REI, Minneapolis Parks Connection, Northern Star Council Scouting, the Loppet Foundation, and others. (612-725-2724, mndnr.gov/fortsnelling)
5:30-8:30 p.m. Monday
Lake Rebecca Park Reserve
Challenge yourself in a time trial format racing a 10- to 14-mile single-track loop through trees and snow. Divisions include men’s, women’s, and under-17. Helmets required. Preregistration is $15; $20 same-day. Call 763-559-6700 to preregister. (threeriversparks.org)
Adapted ski club
Hyland Lake Park Reserve
6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, through Feb. 27
Join fellow skiers with disabilities, make new friends, and improve your technique with the help of instructors. Alternates between Elm Creek and Hyland Lake Park reserves. Prior ski experience required. Cost is $40 for the eight-week program. Reservations are required. Call 763-559-6700. (threeriversparks.org)
• 12:30-2:30 p.m. Saturday, Cedar Lake Farm Regional Park: Try your luck at ice fishing. Learn about equipment and basic ice and cold weather safety. Cost is $8. Call 763-559-6700 to reserve a spot.
• 3-5 p.m. Saturday, also at Cedar Lake Farm Regional Park: A beginning ice fishing program for women and girls (14 and older). Cost is $8. Call 763-559-6700 to make a reservation. (threeriversparks.org)
• Teen skate beginner, 9:30-11 a.m. Saturday, Hyland Lake Park Reserve: Practice efficient edging, gliding and control. Prior classic skiing experience is recommended. Cost is $28; $45 with ski rental. Call 763-559-6700 to make a reservation. For ages 13-17.
• Women’s skate beginner, 9:30-11 a.m. Saturday, Hyland Lake Park Reserve: A program for women 18 and older. Call 763-559-6700 to make a reservation.
• Skate beginner, 9:30-11 a.m. Sunday, Elm Creek Park Reserve: Call 763-559-6700 to make a reservation. For age 18 and older. (threeriversparks.org)