RENO, Nev. — A fast-moving wildfire driven by strong winds destroyed several homes in a Reno neighborhood Tuesday and forced the evacuation of hundreds more on the edge of the Sierra Nevada foothills, one of several blazes burning near the Nevada-California border.
As many as 500 homes could be threatened by the blaze that grew to more than two square miles within hours of igniting in brush above the neighborhood, Reno Fire Chief David Cochran said. He said "multiple" homes had been lost, but he didn't know how many.
The Reno Gazette Journal reported that one of its photographers had seen at least five homes burn.
There were no immediate reports of injuries, and the cause of the fire was under investigation.
Winds gusting over 50 mph (80 kph) drove the flames but later subsided and rain was in the forecast Tuesday night.
Cochran said teams were responding from fire departments in Reno and California to help battle the blaze through the night.
"This is an extremely dynamic situation," he said. "Precipitation is expected, but we're not relying on that. We are working to protect homes to the extent that we can."
Anita Noble of Reno was spraying down a hillside with a garden hose near her daughter's home, telling KOLO-TV that she "could have been the one to save my daughter's house and the neighbor's house."