In her "Waste-Free Kitchen Handbook," Dana Gunders suggests pinpointing the exact reasons you're throwing away food — and writing them down. For this exercise, honesty is the best policy. Suggested categories:
• Bought too much.
• Didn't cook as much as I thought I would (could also say lazy/tired/busy).
• Didn't eat as much as I thought I would, or I cooked too much.
• Weekly plans changed.
• Didn't like the food.
• Never felt like eating that food.
• Didn't know how to cook it.
• Had to buy more than needed.
• Didn't store it properly.
Recipes and more tips on T5.