Sunday's tournament within the tournament
The last three of eight automatic spots on the U.S. Ryder Cup team will be claimed after Sunday’s final round of The Barclays tournament (going to the sixth, seventh and eighth players in the point standings). Here’s a look at the seven players in contention, with their Ryder Cup ranking entering the weekend:
6. Brandt Snedeker (4,410.915 points) Even, T34th Comment: Moved from ninth to sixth last week. Can he stay there in the top eight?
7. Zach Johnson (4,337.973) +4, T62nd Comment: Needs to go low Sunday on a long, tough course that doesn’t suit his game.
8. Patrick Reed (4,180.371) -8, second Comment: Nine top-10 finishes but no victories this season. That could change Sunday.
9. J.B. Holmes (4,149.716) +2, T47th Comment: Was captain’s pick in 2008 and doesn’t want to wait for that drama again.
10. Bubba Watson (4,055.311) +2, T47th Comment: Just made Friday’s cut but needs a big day to make it mean anything.
11. Matt Kuchar (4,017.455) +7, T77th Comment: Has played in three consecutive Ryder Cups; needs Olympics-like finishing 63.
12. Rickie Fowler (3,814.612) -9, first Comment: Can make team for the third time for sure by winning Sunday.
Ryder Cup points to be had: 1st place 1,530, 2nd 918, 3rd 578, 4th 408, 5th 340, 10th 229.5, 15th 153, 20th 110.5, 25th 74.8, 30th 57.8, 40th 36.5, 50th 21.4