The weekend will be a summer traveler’s dream, with no State Fair traffic — boo! — and no major freeway closures on tap — yea!
That doesn’t mean that all the orange cones and traffic tangles will disappear.
The 3rd Avenue Bridge across the Mississippi River in downtown Minneapolis closes for the weekend in preparation for a larger rehabilitation project that has the bridge closed from January through November 2022.
Also in Minneapolis, the ramp from westbound Interstate 94 to Cedar Avenue will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly Friday through Sunday.
Detours remain in place for drivers on Hwy. 3 in Farmington where the Minnesota Department of Transportation is building a roundabout at 170th Street. That work will continue through Sept. 18.
Off the mainline, France Avenue between 55th and 60th streets closed this week as part of Edina’s 58th Street reconstruction project. A detour will be in place for the next three weeks.
Law enforcement officers will continue their extra drunken-driving enforcement efforts through Labor Day, Sept. 7.
Here are some of the ongoing road construction projects:
1. Interstate 35W: Ramps from 46th Street to northbound I-35W, and from northbound I-35W to 36th Street, closed until September 2021. Ramps from northbound I-35W to westbound I-94, and from eastbound I-94 to southbound I-35W, closed until fall 2021.
2. Hennepin Avenue: Lane reductions and full closure on some blocks between 13th Street and Washington Avenue.
3. 10th Avenue Bridge: Closed over the Mississippi River through midsummer 2021.
4. 3rd Avenue Bridge: Closed over the Mississippi River from 8 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday.
5. Ayd Mill Road: Closed between Selby Avenue and Interstate 35E until November.
6. Hwy. 95, Denmark Township: Closed between 70th Street and Hwys. 61 and 10 through the fall.
7. Interstate 35/35W/35E, Forest Lake, Columbus, Hugo: Off-peak lane reductions between Hwy. 8 and a mile south of the I-35W/35E split.
8. County Road 81/Bottineau Boulevard, Brooklyn Park: Closed between Brooklyn Boulevard and 83rd Avenue N.
9. Hwy. 3, Farmington: Closed at 170th Street through Sept. 18.
10. Interstate 494, Mendota Heights and Bloomington: Ramp from westbound I-494 to eastbound Hwy. 5 closed Friday through Monday.
11. Hwy. 169, Jackson Township: Reduced to one lane between 133rd Street and Old Brick Yard Road through the fall.
12. Hwy. 41, Chaska: Closed between Hwy. 169 and 1st Street through Sept. 8.
13. Hwy. 5, Bloomington: Westbound lanes closed between Hwys. 62 and 55 to I-494 through October.
14. I-494, Bloomington and Richfield: Overnight lane closures between Cedar Avenue and Hwy. 100 through Monday.
15. I-35W, Richfield, Bloomington: Nightly lane closures between 76th and 86th streets until Aug. 31; ramp from southbound I-35W to westbound I-494 closed until Tuesday.
16. Shoreline Drive and Shadywood Road, Orono: Intersection reconstruction is underway; Narrows Bridge on County Road 19 closed until early September.
17. I-94, Maple Grove, Rogers: Lane shifts and temporary lane closures between Hwy. 101 and the I-94/494/694 split.