Ramsey County crews started removing striping along Maryland Avenue between Greenbrier Street and Johnson Parkway in St. Paul, marking the beginning of a test to try out a new configuration that will reduce the road from two lanes in each direction to one with a center turn lane.
That's just one of a handful of new road projects that are on the docket for this weekend. Those include I-35E in St. Paul, Hwy. 65 in Fridley, Hwy. 110 in Mendota Heights and Hwy. 47 in St. Francis.
It's also a big weekend for a big weekend for sporting events as the three of the area's professional sports teams are home. The Twins play at Target Field Friday night and Saturday and Sunday afternoon. The Saints have games at CHS Field Friday through Sunday nights. Minnesota United plays Sunday afternoon at TCF Bank Stadium.
Here is your guide to area road construction
Major road construction
1. I-94 St. Paul to Maplewood: The configuration has two lanes open in each direction between Century Avenue and Mounds Boulevard. Ramps to westbound 94 at Mounds Boulevard and Hwy. 61 are closed until June 16. White Bear Avenue is closed from the south end of the I-94 interchange up to Minnehaha Avenue through early June. Be prepared for temporary lane and ramp closures.
2. I-94 from Brooklyn Center to Nicollet Avenue: Two lanes in each direction between I-694 and Hwy. 55. The ramp from southbound 252 to eastbound/southbound I-94 is closed. Traffic is being detoured to Hwy. 100. The ramp from 3rd Street to westbound I-94 in Minneapolis is scheduled to open Friday night. All westbound I-94 to I-394 traffic will be shifted onto the HOT lanes. There's no access to HOT lanes for eastbound drivers from Hwy. 100 to downtown Minneapolis. The ramp from westbound 94 to Dowling Avenue is closed.
3. Cedar and Portland avenues are closed between 28th and Lake streets through the summer.
4. I-35E in St. Paul: Two lanes open in the area of Shepard Road through Sept. 22.
5. Maryland Avenue in St. Paul: Lane shifts and travel delays between Greenbrier Street and Johnson Parkway
6. Hwy. 51/Snelling Avenue in St. Paul: Single lane in each direction between Como Avenue and Hwy. 36 through October.
7. Hwy. 110 in Mendota Heights: Lane closures in both directions in places between Lexington Avenue and I-494 through June 11.
8. I-694 Little Canada to Arden Hills: Eastbound I-694 is restricted to two lanes separated by a concrete median barrier between Hwy. 10 and I-35E. The inside lane carries through traffic and drivers must continue east on I-694. The outside lane allows local ramp access and must continue south on I-35E. Westbound I-694 is reduced to two lanes. Note: The ramp from Rice Street to westbound I-694 is closed for the duration of the project, which will last until fall.
9. Hwy. 10 in Arden Hills: The ramp from westbound Hwy. 10 to northbound I-35W is closed through late August.
10. Hwy. 65 in Fridley: Northbound lanes closed between Mississippi Street and 73rd Avenue from 9 a.m. Friday until 7 p.m. Saturday.
11. Hwy. 47 in St. Francis: Both directions closed from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday between Viking Boulevard and Norris Lake Road.
12. Hwy. 169 Edina to Golden Valley: The Nine Mile Creek bridge is closed between Bren Road and 5th Street/Lincoln Drive and single lane between I-394 and Excelsior Boulevard. The ramp from westbound I-394 to southbound Hwy. 169 is closed through October.
13. 66th Street in Richfield: Closed to through traffic between Girard and Xerxes Avenues S.
14. 86th Street in Bloomington: The overpass at I-35W is closed through October. Use 90th Street.
15. County Road 42 in Burnsville: The westbound lanes at the I-35W interchange are set to open at 10 p.m. Saturday. Then the eastbound lanes will close until June 22.