The biggest traffic jams this weekend are likely to be on I-35 north of the Twin Cities as thousands make the trip to and from Duluth for Saturday's Grandma's Marathon.
Road construction has the freeway down to a single lane at Willow River and again at County Road 61 near Carlton, Minn. The Minnesota Department of Transportation suggest using alternate routes, such as Hwy. 23.
Locally, watch out for congestion around the Stone Arch Bridge Festival, the Juneteenth celebration and Twins games Friday through Sunday in Minneapolis. The North Star Bike Festival will have races Friday night on Lake Street and Hennepin Avenue in the Uptown district, and in downtown Stillwater on Sunday.
Interstate 94 in Minneapolis and St. Paul
1. I-94 from St. Paul to Maplewood: Two lanes open in each direction between Century Avenue and Mounds Boulevard; temporary lane and ramp closures. The ramp from Ruth Street to westbound I-94 is closed.
2. I-94 from Minneapolis to Brooklyn Center: Traffic has been shifted to the two lanes nearest the center median divider and the speed limit has been reduced to 50 miles per hour between I-694 and Hwy. 55. The ramp from eastbound 94 to Hennepin/Lyndale avenues is closed until June 22. No access from southbound Hwy. 252 to eastbound 94. The detour is via Hwy. 100. The ramp from eastbound 94 to West Broadway is closed.
3. Cedar and Portland avenues: Closed between 28th and Lake streets until mid-fall.
4. Minnehaha Avenue: Closed between Cedar and Franklin avenues.
5. I-35E in St. Paul: Lane restrictions in the vicinity of Shepard Road through Sept. 22. The ramp from northbound I-35E to Shepard Road is closed through Monday.
6. White Bear Avenue in St. Paul: Closed between I-94 and Minnehaha Avenue.
7. Snelling Avenue/Hwy. 51 in Falcon Heights: Single lane in each direction between Como Avenue and Hwy. 36 through October.
8. Hwy. 110 in Mendota Heights: All eastbound lanes between I-35E and I-494 are closed.
9. Hwy. 95 in Oak Park Heights: The highway is a single lane under the new St. Croix Crossing bridge.
10. I-694 in Shoreview: Eastbound 694 is restricted to two lanes separated by a concrete barrier between Hwy. 10 and I-35E. The inside lane carries through traffic and drivers must continue east on I-694. The outside/right lane allows access to local streets and drivers must continue south on I-35E. Westbound traffic is down to two lanes. The ramp from Rice Street to westbound 694 closed until the project is finished in October. The ramp from eastbound 694 to Lexington Avenue is closed.
11. Hwy. 10 at I-35W in Arden Hills: The ramp from westbound Hwy. 10 to northbound 35W is closed through late August.
12.Hwy. 96 in Vadnais Heights: Westbound down to a single lane between Centerville Road and White Bear Parkway through August.
13. Hwy. 169 in Edina and St. Louis Park: The Nine Mile Creek bridge between Bren Road and Lincoln Drive/5th Street is closed and the highway is single lane between I-394 and Excelsior Boulevard. The ramp from westbound I-394 to southbound Hwy. 169 is closed through October. Ramps from Cedar Lake Road and to and from 16th Street to northbound Hwy. 169 are closed.
14. 66th Street in Richfield: Closed to through traffic between Girard and Xerxes avenues S.
15. 86th Street in Bloomington: The overpass at I-35W is closed through October. Use 90th Street to cross.
16. County Road 42 in Burnsville: The eastbound lanes over I-35W are closed through Thursday.