Hot, hot, hot, the pavement will sizzle and that has the Minnesota Department of Transportation warning motorists to look out for road buckles..
The calendar is light on major traffic generating events as both professional baseball teams - Twins and Saints - are away and Lynx are on the road too. The heat might keep crowds down at celebrations such as the re-opening of the Walker Sculpture Garden, the Northern Spark art festival and the second installment of Minneapolis Open Streets on 1st and Washington avenues in downtown Minneapolis.
But roads might be crowded near lakes, pools and any place cool. If you are on the roads, here is where you might sweat it out in a jam in construction zones.
Interstate 94 in Minneapolis and St. Paul
1. I-94 from St. Paul to Maplewood: Two lanes open in each direction between Century Avenue and Mounds Boulevard; temporary lane and ramp closures. Ramps to Mounds Boulevard and Hwy. 61 are closed until June 16. The ramp from Ruth Street to westbound I-94 is closed.
2. I-94 from Minneapolis to Brooklyn Center: Traffic has been shifted to the two lanes nearest the center median divider and the speed limit has been reduced to 50 miles per hour between I-694 and Hwy. 55. The ramp from eastbound 94 to Hennepin/Lyndale avenues is closed until June 22. No access from southbound Hwy. 252 to eastbound 94. The detour is via Hwy. 100. The ramp from Washington Avenue to westbound I-94 closed until Monday.
3. Cedar and Portland avenues: Closed between 28th and Lake streets until mid-fall.
4. Minnehaha Avenue: Closed between Cedar and Franklin avenues.
5. I-35E in St. Paul: Lane restrictions in the vicinity of Shepard Road through Sept. 22.
6. White Bear Avenue in St. Paul: Closed between I-94 and Minnehaha Avenue.
7. Snelling Avenue/Hwy. 51 in Falcon Heights: Single lane in each direction between Como Avenue and Hwy. 36 through October. The ramp from eastbound Hwy. 36 to southbound Snelling is closed through Wednesday.
8. Hwy. 110 in Mendota Heights: Lane closures in each direction between Lexington Avenue and I-494 through Sunday. On Monday all eastbound lanes between I-35E and I-494 will be closed.
9. I-694 in Shoreview: Eastbound 694 is restricted to two lanes separated by a concrete barrier between Hwy. 10 and I-35E. The inside lane carries through traffic and drivers must continue east on I-694. The outside/right lane allows access to local streets and drivers must continue south on I-35E. Westbound traffic is down to two lanes. The ramp from Rice Street to westbound 694 closed until the project is finished in October. Ramps to and from eastbound 694 at Rice Street close Tuesday.
10. Hwy. 10 at I-35W in Arden Hills: The ramp from westbound Hwy. 10 to northbound 35W is closed through late August.
11.Hwy. 96 in Vadnais Heights: Westbound down to a single lane between Centerville Road and White Bear Parkway through August.
12. Hwy. 169 in Edina and St. Louis Park: The Nine Mile Creek bridge between Bren Road and Lincoln Drive/5th Street is closed and the highway is single lane between I-394 and Excelsior Boulevard. The ramp from westbound I-394 to southbound Hwy. 169 is closed through October. Ramp from Cedar Lake Road to northbound Hwy. 169 closed until June 20.
13. 66th Street in Richfield: Closed to through traffic between Girard and Xerxes avenues S.
14. 86th Street in Bloomington: The overpass at I-35W is closed through October. Use 90th Street to cross.
15. County Road 42 in Burnsville: The eastbound lanes over I-35W are closed until June 22.