The first blast of summerlike warmth comes just in time for the first huge outdoor celebrations of the season and with them comes road closures, congestion and parking restrictions, so watch the signs carefully.
None may be bigger - or grander - than Grand Old Day in St. Paul where 200,000 of your friends and neighbors will sup and nosh at the Sunday party stretching 30 blocks on Grand Avenue between Dale Street and Fairview Avenue.
Another big draw will be the Edina Art Fair in the vicinity of 50th and France Avenues while Open Streets Minneapolis takes over Lyndale Avenue between Franklin Avenue and 54th Street from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. The Flint Hills International Children's Festival continues through Sunday in Rice Park and nearby venues in downtown St. Paul.
A reminder that light-rail trains won't run between Target Field Station and U.S. Bank Stadium Station. Buses will fill in until 3:30 a.m. Monday.
Meanwhile, the spate of road work rolls on.
I-94 in Minneapolis and St. Paul
1.I-94 from St. Paul to Maplewood: Two lanes open in each direction between Century Avenue and Mounds Boulevard; temporary lane and ramp closures. Ramps to westbound 94 at Mounds Boulevard and Hwy. 61 are closed until June 16. The ramp from Ruth Street to westbound I-94 is closed.
2. I-94 from Minneapolis to Brooklyn Center: Two lanes open in each direction between I-694 and Hwy. 55. The ramp from southbound Hwy. 252 to eastbound/southbound I-94 is closed. Traffic is being detoured to Hwy. 100. All westbound I-94 to westbound I-394 traffic will be shifted onto the HOT lanes. There’s no access to HOT lanes for eastbound drivers from Hwy. 100 to downtown Minneapolis. The ramp from Washington Avenue/West Broadway closes Monday.
3. Cedar and Portland Avenues: Closed between 28th and Lake streets through the summer.
4. Minnehaha Avenue: Closed between Cedar and Franklin avenues.
5. I-35E in St. Paul: Lane restrictions in the area of Shepard Road through Sept. 22.
6. White Bear Avenue in St. Paul: Closed between I-94 and Minnehaha Avenue.
7. Snelling Avenue/Hwy. 51 in Falcon Heights: Single lane in each direction between Como Avenue and Hwy. 36 through October.
8. Hwy. 110 in Mendota Heights: Lane closures between Lexington Avenue and I-494 through June 11.
9. I-694 in Shoreview: Eastbound I-694 is restricted to two lanes separated by a concrete median barrier between Hwy. 10 and I-35E. The inside lane carries through traffic and drivers must continue east on I-694. The outside lane allows local ramp access and must continue south on I-35E. Westbound I-694 is reduced to two lanes. The ramp from Rice Street to westbound I-694 is closed for the duration of project, which will last until fall.
10. Hwy. 10 at I-35W in Arden Hills: The ramp from westbound Hwy. 10 to northbound I-35W is closed through late August.
11. Hwy. 169 in Edina and St. Louis Park: The Nine Mile Creek bridge is closed between Bren Road and 5th Street/Lincoln Drive and single lane between I-394 and Excelsior Boulevard.The ramp from westbound I-394 to southbound Hwy 169 is closed through October. Also single lane between Medicine Lake Road and 23rd Avenue N. Friday night through Monday morning.
12. 66th Street in Richfield: Closed to through traffic between Girard and Xerxes Avenues S.
13. 86th Street in Bloomington: The overpass at I-35W is closed through October. Use 90th Street.
14. County Road 42 in Burnsville: The eastbound lanes at the I-35W interchange are closed until June 22.
15. Hwy. 77 in Eagan: One northbound closed between Diffley and Nichols Roads.