This will a be Chamber of Commerce like weekend from a weather standpoint, but the forecast isn’t so sunny for motorists. The biggest inconvenience will be a shut down of Hwy. 100 through Golden Valley, St. Louis Park and Edina. (See details below.)
Drivers will run into cones and closures on a number of other major routes along with lane restrictions on several city, county and secondary roads due to paving projects, utility work and bridge repair.
On the sports scene, the Twins continue a homestand with afternoon games Saturday and Sunday at Target Field in Minneapolis while the St. Paul Saints continue their season-opening series with the Gary South Shore Railcats with games Saturday and Sunday evening at CHS Field in downtown St. Paul.
In Robbinsdale, the Birdtown Half Marathon on Saturday will take over streets in Robbinsdale (not all of them will be closed). Look for extra traffic — that includes bicyclists and pedestrians — Saturday and Sunday in northeast Minneapolis where Art-A-Whirl takes place and around parks, including Harriet Island in St. Paul which hosts the 2016 Twin Cities Burger Battle on Saturday. Stop by if you are hungry.
After two weekends of maintenance work that slowed travel on the Metro Blue Line, trains will run on a normal schedule. Transit riders should not find any big disruptions in bus or rail service over the weekend. Check www.metrotransit.org/rider-alerts for route specific information.
Here is where you’ll find some of the larger traffic-impacting cone zones:
1. Hwy. 100: The southbound lanes will closed between Interstate 394 and Crosstown Hwy. 62 for a pavement repair project closed through 5 a.m. Monday. Northbound will remain open, but traffic will be squeezed down to two lanes.
2. I-94 in Rogers: Both directions will be reduced to one or two lanes from Hwy. 101 to Hwy. 241 at times during non-rush hour periods.
3. I-494: Traffic between Fish Lake Road in Maple Grove and Hwy. 55 in Plymouth has been shifted to the southbound side of the freeway and is reduced to two lanes each direction until Nov. 4. There are several ramp closures at the I-394 and County Road 6 and Carlson Pkwy. interchanges.
4. I-35E: The freeway features single-lane traffic on the northbound side between County Road E and Goose Lake Road. This will last until late May. There also will be intermittent lane closures between County Road 96 and County Road J from 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. daily. Motorists on Hwy. 96 will encounter single lane traffic between White Bear Pkwy and Centerville Road through mid-June. These ramps are closed: County Road E to northbound 35E, northbound 35E to County Road E, southbound 35E to Hwy. 96 and eastbound Hwy. 96 to northbound 35E.
5. I-35W in Arden Hills: The bridges over the freeway at County roads E2 and H are closed. Look for lane restrictions at both sites.
6. I-35W in Minneapolis: Bridges over the freeway at Johnson Street, Broadway Street and Hennepin Avenue have directional closures in place.
7. I-694: Drivers should be on the ready for overnight lane closures between Dale Street and Lexington Avenue. Crews will be reconfiguring lanes, including placing a concrete median that will split the westbound lanes, forcing drivers to pick one lane or the other.
8. Hwy. 280 The highway is closed between Broadway Street and I-35W and lane reductions are in place between I-94 and Broadway Street for the next five weeks. The ramp from southbound I-35W to southbound Hwy. 280 also is closed. MnDOT is rebuilding the ramp from northbound Hwy. 280 to northbound I-35W. The department also will be doing a pavement rehabilitation project between Broadway Street up to I-35W.
9. Hwy 36 and Lexington Av.: MnDOT is replacing the overpass on eastbound Hwy. 36. Traffic is being diverted down the exit ramps and up the on ramps. Motorists can expect some overnight and off-peak lane closures as crews build a new bypass on the south side of the current interchange. Drivers needing to access Lexington can use Dale Street or Hamline Avenue and circle back to Lexington by using County Road B or C.
10. Hwy 5: Traffic is sharing the eastbound side of the bridge as crews rebuild the westbound side. It’s single lane traffic between Davern Street and Hwy. 55 through November. Some ramps at the Hwy. 5 and 55 interchange, Mississippi Blvd. and Edgcumbe Road also are closed.
11. I-94 St. Paul to Woodbury: The resurfacing project between E. 7th Street and Century Avenue. will last until the end of 2017. The newest closures include the ramp from Ruth Street to westbound I-94, White Bear Avenue to eastbound 94, Century Avenue to eastbound I-94 and westbound I-94 to Century. Also, the ramp from eastbound I-94 to E. 7th St. is closed until early June. To access downtown St. Paul, try 5th or 10th Streets.
12. I-94 in the Midway: Bridges over Cretin Avenue and Prior Avenue are closed.
13. I-94 in Minneapolis: The ramp to 5th Street is closed. Use 11th Street or head to Olson Hwy. north of the Lowry Tunnel if Target Field is your destination.
14. The Franklin Avenue bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis is closed until Labor Day weekend.
15. Hwy. 8: The highway is closed between the south junction of Hwy. 95 in Franconia Township and downtown Taylors Falls.