The sun will be shining on travelers heading to Mother’s Day brunches and this weekend’s fishing opener, but can motorists keep a sunny disposition while navigating road construction projects?
Drivers on I-94 in Maple Grove will be put to the test as the eastbound lanes will be shut down at Hwy. 610. The closure and detour will be in place all weekend, but long lines are most likely on Sunday as those who leave town head back in.
Transit riders will find a disruption on the Blue Line as trains will not run between the Franklin Avenue and 38th Street stations until 5 a.m. on Monday. Buses will fill in.
Major road construction
1. I-94 St. Paul to Maplewood: The right lane and all westbound ramps from Century Avenue to Mounds Boulevard will be closed until midafternoon Saturday. White Bear Avenue is closed from the south end of the I-94 interchange up to Minnehaha Avenue through early June. Ramps to westbound 94 at Mounds Boulevard and Hwy. 61 are closed until June 16. Southbound McKnight Road between Old Hudson Road and Burns Avenue will be reduced to a single lane from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily through Wednesday.
2. I-94 from Brooklyn Center to Nicollet Avenue: Two lanes in each direction between I-694 and Hwy. 55. The ramp from southbound 252 to eastbound/southbound I-94 is closed. Traffic is being detoured to Hwy. 100. The ramp from 3rd Street to westbound I-94 in Minneapolis is closed until May 20. All westbound I-94 to I-394 traffic will be shifted onto the HOT lanes. There’s no access to HOT lanes for eastbound drivers from Hwy. 100 to downtown Minneapolis.
3. Cedar and Portland avenues are closed between 28th and Lake streets through the summer.
4. I-35E in St. Paul: The MnPass lanes in both directions between Wheelock Parkway and Maryland Avenue closed through 5 a.m. Monday.
5. Hwy. 51/Snelling Avenue in St. Paul: Single lane in each direction between Como Avenue and Hwy. 36 through October.
6. I-694 Little Canada to Arden Hills: Eastbound I-694 is restricted to two lanes separated by a concrete median barrier between Hwy. 10 and I-35E. The inside lane carries through traffic and drivers must continue east on I-694. The outside lane allows local ramp access and must continue south on I-35E. Westbound I-694 is reduced to two lanes. Note: The ramp from Rice Street to westbound I-694 is closed for the duration of the project, which will last until fall.
7. Hwy. 10 in Arden Hills: The ramp from westbound Hwy. 10 to northbound I-35W is closed through late August.
8. I-94 in Maple Grove: The eastbound lanes will be closed at Hwy. 610 through 5 a.m. Monday. Traffic will be detoured to eastbound Hwy. 610 to Hwy. 169. Westbound lanes will remain open as will exits at Maple Grove Parkway. Hwy. 610 in Maple Grove: Single lane in each direction between Elm Creek Boulevard and I-94 until June 8. Entrance and exit ramps at County Road 81 are closed.
9. Hwy. 169 Edina to Golden Valley: The Nine Mile Creek bridge is closed between Bren Road and 5th Street/Lincoln Drive and single lane between I-394 and Excelsior Boulevard. The ramp from westbound I-394 to southbound Hwy. 169 is closed through October.
10. 66th Street in Richfield: Closed to through traffic between Girard and Xerxes Avenues S.
11. 86th Street in Bloomington: The overpass at I-35W is closed through October. Use 90th Street.
12. County Road 42 in Burnsville: The westbound lanes are closed until May 22 at the I-35W interchange.