Zephyrs score early, often
• MAHTOMEDI 42, MINNEAPOLIS WASHBURN 21: Mahtomedi’s version of “Thunder and Lighting” set the stage for the Zephyrs’ 42-14 victory Wednesday night in the Class 5A, Section 4 quarterfinals at Minneapolis Washburn.
Fifth-seeded Mahtomedi started the game with a pick-six on the first play from scrimmage. Senior defensive back Jake McDonald returned an interception 25 yards for a touchdown only 12 seconds in, and the Zephyrs led the rest of the way.
Over the first six minutes, Mahtomedi built a 21-0 lead before fourth-seeded Washburn responded. The Millers scored the next two touchdowns and trailed 21-14 at halftime, but that’s as close as they would get.
• BLOOMINGTON JEFFERSON 34, WACONIA 6: Junior quarterback Jack Tillotson threw four touchdowns to lead No. 4 seed Bloomington Jefferson to a 34-6 victory over No. 5 seed Waconia in the Class 5A, Section 2 quarterfinals at Bloomington Stadium. Tillotson also ran for a 1-yard TD in the victory.
The victory is Bloomington Jefferson’s second over Waconia this season. The Jaguars defeated the Wildcats 17-14 in a Suburban White subdistrict matchup on Sept. 18.
Defensive back Cortez Martin sparked Bloomington Jefferson’s strong defensive game with two interceptions and a pass breakup on Waconia’s first seven passes. The Wildcats registered 4 yards on offense in the first quarter.
• CHANHASSEN 51, NEW PRAGUE 14: Tom Loeffler ran for 175 yards and scored two touchdowns to lead the Storm past the Trojans. Ben Krych added two touchdowns, one passing and one rushing, for the Storm.
• HASTINGS 44, BLOOMINGTON KENNEDY 21: Ovie Embu ran for 140 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Raiders past the Eagles. Colin Kummer added two touchdowns, one passing and one rushing, for the Raiders. Scott Cameron scored two touchdowns and Max Simmons ran for 163 yards and a touchdown for the Eagles.
• ST. ANTHONY 27, MINNEAPOLIS SOUTH 24: Josiah Johnson threw four touchdown passes, including a 30-yarder to Talon Bradley in the fourth quarter for the game-winning score, to lift the Huskies past the Tigers. Payton Bowdry scored all three touchdowns for the Tigers.
• ST. PAUL JOHNSON 54, ST. PAUL HARDING 18: The Governors returned three interceptions for touchdowns to pull away from the Knights. Christian Sanda led the way with two pick-sixes. Sam Moberg added three touchdown runs for the Governors.
• RED WING 33, ALBERT LEA 8: Sam Hanson rush for three touchdowns to lead the Wingers past the Tigers. Travis Toivonen added a touchdown and 114 yards on six catches.
• HUTCHINSON 71, NEW ULM 28: Travis Gauer ran for 281 yards and three touchdowns to the lead the Tigers past the Eagles.
• DELASALLE 47, COLUMBIA HEIGHTS 19: Nick Weber threw for 279 yards and four touchdowns to the Islanders past the Hylanders. Weber also ran for two touchdowns. Jevon Brekke added 148 yards and one touchdown rushing and three touchdown catches. Dontae Hayley and Jarrett Baptiste connected for two touchdowns for the Hylanders.
• DELANO 28, BIG LAKE 14: Harrison Bolzer ran for 243 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Tigers past the Hornets. Nate Norman threw for touchdowns for the Tigers.
• HOLY FAMILY 38, ROCKFORD 13: David Ogren and Eric Requet ran for two touchdowns each to lead the Fire past the Rockets.
• ST. AGNES 45, ST. PAUL HUMBOLDT 14: Gary Smith ran for two touchdowns to lead the Aggies past the Hawks. Peter Vaske added two touchdowns, one passing and one rushing, for the Aggies. James Jackson ran for two touchdowns for the Hawks.