The Vikings will open the NFL preseason at New Orleans, play home games against Seattle and Arizona, and finish at Buffalo.
The games are set, but the exact dates are not. The Saints game will be in an Aug. 8-12 window, and the Buffalo game will be either Aug. 29 or 30. The Seahawks game at U.S. Bank Stadium will be between Aug. 15-19, the Cardinals game between Aug. 22-25.
The NFL regular season schedule will be released later in April.
• The Vikings signed defensive end Karter Schult, a Northern Iowa product who tried out for the team during a rookie minicamp last year. Schult, 25, had seven sacks in eight games for the Salt Lake Stallions of the now-defunct AAF, which folded this month. The Tripoli, Iowa, native had stints on the Panthers and Browns rosters since going undrafted in 2017.
The Vikings will have 65 players under contract after the signings of Schult and quarterback Sean Mannion. Minnesota's undrafted free-agent crop has increased each of the past three years from 10 to 13 to 17 signings last season.
• The WCHA men's hockey league reached an agreement on a new multiyear contract for Commissioner Bill Robertson. He completed his fifth season with the WCHA this season.
• The Minnesota Spring Open, scheduled Saturday at the Gophers' new track and field stadium, was canceled because of the inclement weather forecast; so, too, was Friday's high school meet at the same venue.
• The No. 19 Gophers softball team (27-10, 8-1 Big Ten) canceled its game with South Dakota State on Wednesday because of the impending bad weather.
• St. Scholastica athletic director Brian Jamros said he will resign at the end of the school year to pursue other interests outside of college athletics. He was named the AD of the private college in Duluth in June of 2017.
• Augsburg University's Jim Moulsoff was named the 2019 d3wrestle.com Coach of the Year after leading the Auggies to their 13th NCAA Division III national title.
• The St. Paul Saints of the American Association signed a pair of former Gophers, outfielder Dan Motl and pitcher Jordan Jess.
• Dan DeWitt, an assistant coach at Bethany Lutheran College, was named North Central University's men's basketball coach.