The Vikings' on-the-field struggles early this season have been matched by off-the-field controversies.

With star running back Adrian Peterson set for a Wednesday court appearance in Houston on a felony charge of harming one of his children while disciplining him, the team learned Sunday that defensive tackle Tom Johnson had been arrested outside a Minneapolis nightclub.

Police said Monday that they needed to use pepper spray and a Taser before arresting Johnson when he allegedly refused to leave Seven in downtown Minneapolis early Sunday morning.

The 30-year-old Johnson, in his first year with the team, was jailed on suspicion of disorderly conduct and trespassing, according to police. He posted bail of $78 and was released from the Hennepin County jail late that morning and was scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 17.

Johnson declined Monday to address any of the details released by police, saying, "We're going to put out a statement. … I don't know if any of that [police account] is accurate."

The Vikings, who lost at Green Bay 42-10 on Thursday night, have a league-high seven player arrests in the past year.

Peterson, who was placed on the commissioner's exempt list after he was indicted in Texas last month on a child injury charge, is expected to be present for his first court appearance Wednesday.

Wide receiver Jerome Simpson was released in September after the Vikings found out he had been cited for drug possession and two other charges in connection with a traffic stop in Bloomington during the summer.

Johnson became the 47th Vikings player reported to have been arrested since 2000, the most among the NFL's 32 teams, according to a database kept by the San Diego Union-Tribune.

According to a police report, Johnson was told after closing time to leave Seven "repeatedly by security and officers and [he] refused." In response to his resisting officers, Johnson "was sprayed with department-issue chemical irritants and forced outside." He continued to be uncooperative with officers outside, prompting police to use a Taser on him.

The Vikings declined to comment Monday, referring media to a statement they issued Sunday that read, "We are continuing to gather information and will have further comment at the appropriate time."

Johnson's agent, Bardia Ghahremani, issued a statement Sunday night, saying, "After speaking with Tom Johnson and gathering facts, we are confident the charges are baseless and he will be exonerated."

Johnson was not the only NFL player to be arrested over the weekend for allegedly overstaying his welcome at a late-night hot spot. The Miami Dolphins on Monday suspended defensive end Derrick Shelby indefinitely after he was arrested for trespassing and resisting arrest early Saturday at a Fort Lauderdale, Fla., nightclub. Officers used a Taser three times to subdue him, according to that police report.

Johnson joined the Vikings during the offseason. The reserve defensive tackle has played in all five games this season, including one as a starter, and has recorded seven tackles and two sacks, and forced one fumble. He played his first three seasons with the New Orleans Saints.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer was not asked about Johnson's incident during a Monday radio appearance on SiriusXM satellite radio. Vikings players had Saturday, Sunday and Monday off and will report back to Winter Park on Tuesday morning.