Monticello wins a shootout
• MONTICELLO 50, ST. CLOUD TECH 42: The Magic advanced to the semifinals of the Class 5A, Section 6 playoffs behind two touchdown runs from junior Nick Hoglund. Quarterback Chris Backes ran for a 6-yard touchdown to pull the Tigers even at 28 in the third quarter. But Monticello responded with 15 consecutive points when Hoglund scored from 6 yards out and Nick Johnson returned an interception for a touchdown. Aaron Hanson added a fourth-quarter touchdown run to seal the victory for the Magic.
• NORTH BRANCH 28, CLOQUET 9: Running back Brandon Miller rushed for two touchdowns to pace the Vikings to a Class 4A, Section 7 quarterfinal victory. Miller put the Vikings ahead early with touchdown runs of 9 and 62 yards in the first quarter. Senior Kennedy Ashley added a 9-yard touchdown run and returned an interception 87 yards for a score.
• PRINCETON 69, DULUTH DENFELD 12: Junior Jacob Carlson ran for four touchdowns and returned a kickoff 78 yards for a score to power the Tigers through the first round of the Class 4A, Section 7 playoffs. Sophomore quarterback Jake Chase added two touchdowns on runs of 59 and 49 yards.
• NORTH ST. PAUL 7, HASTINGS 1: The Polars, ranked No. 1 in Class 2A, advanced to the semifinals of the Section 4 playoffs behind a hat trick from Ata Claremond.
• HOLY FAMILY 6, BIG LAKE 0: Will Siems had a hat trick to help the No. 2-seeded Fire dispatch the Hornets in the first round of the Class 1A, Section 6 playoffs.