A Ramsey County jury is deliberating the case against St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez in the fatal shooting of Philando Castile. The main points of each side’s case:
• Yanez stopped Castile on Larpenteur Avenue in Falcon Heights on July 6 because of racial profiling.
• Yanez was nervous, failed to follow training and panicked after Castile volunteered that he had a gun.
• Castile was reaching for his wallet, not his gun. Yanez couldn’t have seen the gun because it was in his pocket.
• Yanez used unreasonable force by firing seven shots into the car.
• Yanez stopped Castile after Castile made eye contact with a “deer in the headlights” look.
• Yanez acted reasonably after seeing a gun and believing his life was in danger.
• Castile was under the influence of marijuana and failed to follow Yanez’s instructions.
• Castile’s girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, gave inconsistent statements and tried to shield Castile from culpability for 6 grams of marijuana in the car.