The Auston Matthews File
Toronto Maple Leafs
Age: 19 Raised: Scottsdale, Ariz. Drafted: First overall, 2016
• Only player in the modern era (since 1943-44) to score four goals in his NHL debut (Oct. 12 at Ottawa)
• Only three other players have recorded a hat trick in their debut in the modern era: Nordiques forward Real Cloutier (Oct. 10, 1979 vs. Atlanta: 3 G), Stars forward Fabian Brunnstrom (Oct. 15, 2008 vs. Nashville: 3 G) and Rangers forward Derek Stepan (Oct. 9, 2010 at Buffalo: 3 G).
• Just the fourth player in the modern era to score four goals in his team’s season-opener. The others: Canucks forwards Rick Blight (Oct. 6, 1976: 4 G at Pittsburgh) and Greg Adams (Oct. 8, 1987: 4 G vs. St. Louis) and Lightning forward Chris Kontos (Oct. 7, 1992: 4 G vs. Chicago).
• Joined Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin (Oct. 5, 2005: 2-0—2 vs. Columbus) as the only top picks to score multiple times in their NHL debuts.
• At 19 years, 26 days, he’s the third-youngest player in NHL history to scored four goals in any game, behind Toronto’s Jack Hamilton on Dec. 4, 1943 (18 years, 185 days) and Washington’s Bobby Carpenter on Feb. 25, 1982 (18 years, 227 days).