Spanish Garlic Soup
Note: Be sure to temper the egg yolks with some of the hot broth — as described below — before adding them to the soup, to prevent them from curdling in the hot broth. From “Milk Street: The New Home Cooking,” by Christopher Kimball.
• 6 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced, whites and greens divided
• 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus extra
• 4 tsp. sweet paprika
• 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
• 6 oz. sourdough or other rustic bread, cut into 1/2-in. cubes (about 4 c.), divided
• 6 c. water
• 2 tbsp. chicken bouillon (such as Knorr chicken base)
• Kosher salt and ground black pepper
• 4 egg yolks
• Sherry vinegar, to taste
In medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the whites of green onions, garlic and 3 tablespoons oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to color, 8 to 10 minutes. Add both paprikas and cook, stirring, until fragrant and darkened, 30 seconds.
Add 1 cup bread cubes and stir well. Whisk in 6 cups water and bouillon, increase heat to medium-high and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, whisking occasionally, for 15 minutes. Whisk vigorously to ensure bread is thoroughly broken up.
Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, combine the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, the remaining 3 cups bread, the greens of the onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.
In medium bowl, whisk egg yolks. Slowly whisk in 1 cup hot broth. Remove soup from heat. Off heat, vigorously whisk egg yolks into soup, then whisk in vinegar. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
To serve, fill individual bowls with crouton mixture, then ladle soup over them. Drizzle with additional oil, if desired.