Almost-Indian Lentil Soup
Note: From “Scratch,” by Maria Rodale.
• 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 onion, diced
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 c. bulgur
• 1 c. red lentils
• 1 c. chopped fresh dill leaves
• 1 c. chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus extra for serving
• 2 tbsp. butter
• 8 c. chicken stock
• 1 (14 to 19 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 2 c. chopped fresh spinach leaves
• 1/2 c. plain yogurt, plus extra for serving
In heavy-bottomed pot, warm oil over medium heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes, or until golden and caramelized.
Add bulgur, lentils, dill, cilantro and butter, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until mixture is combined and butter has melted.
Add chicken stock, bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Add chickpeas and spinach, stir to combine and cook until warmed through.
Place yogurt in a small bowl, add a little broth from the pot, and whisk to combine. Gradually add yogurt mixture to pot, stirring, until combined. Divide soup among bowls. Serve topped with a dollop of yogurt and sprinkled with cilantro.