Advertisement

Still crowded, Delano schools will go back to voters

The Delano School District is considering asking voters again to approve two bond proposals for a new elementary school that were rejected in November.

January 5, 2008 at 5:01AM
Advertisement

Delano School District residents could experience déjà vu this spring if school officials move forward with plans to seek voter-approved funding for a new elementary school.

In November, residents in Delano, Independence and Loretto approved a $700,000-a-year, 10-year levy to operate the proposed $29 million school, but they rejected spending proposals to purchase land for the school and build it.

Concerns about whether voters understood the operating levy question, which passed 1,343 to 1,339, prompted residents to petition the district for a recount last month. The approval was upheld with one additional yes vote.

Now the district is trying to figure out the best way to revive the funding requests to build the school. "The need [for more space] didn't change because they voted down questions two and three," Superintendent John Sweet said.

Delano's enrollment, now 2,248, has increased by almost 400 students since 2002. The district expects to add more than 300 students to its attendance rolls by 2012. Meanwhile, all three of its schools are currently at or above capacity, school officials said.

If built, the new school would be an intermediate school for grades 4-6. It would be on a 13-acre site across from the existing elementary school. Delano's school configuration would be similar to the neighboring Orono School District, which also has a single campus and an intermediate school.

"We've maintained good class sizes, but we need to let the public know that our buildings are crowded," said Sarah Gallagher, school board vice chairwoman.

Gallagher and others at a school board meeting Thursday discussed whether the construction and land acquisition proposals should be presented to voters as one ballot question or two, and considered the best timing for a referendum. Board members did not pass a resolution but said they may schedule a referendum in April.

Advertisement

"It'll be more money if we wait," Gallagher said. "It's already crowded [in the schools]. And this is still fresh in everyone's brains from November."

Sweet said the agreement the district signed with the owner of the proposed elementary school keeps the property off the market until April, putting pressure on the district to act quickly. He also said he is worried that a November bond election could get lost amid state and national elections.

"There's a lot of pieces in the puzzle," Sweet said.

Wallace Johnson, 63, of Delano led the effort for a recount of the operating levy question last month. He said the mixed results voters handed the district -- money to operate a new school but no funds to build it or buy the land -- indicate many residents didn't understand what they were voting for at the polls.

"It wasn't clear, there's no question about it," Johnson said about the ballot. "I had 31 signatures and they all said they didn't understand it."

Johnson said many residents believed they were giving the district additional money to operate its existing schools.

Advertisement

Sweet said the district mailed detailed information about the request to residents prior to the election.

Johnson said he hasn't ruled out supporting a new elementary school. He'll wait to review the election materials and his final decision will "depend on what they're asking for."

Patrice Relerford • 612-673-4395

about the writer

about the writer

PATRICE RELERFORD, Star Tribune

Advertisement