Minnesota State Lottery Director Ed Van Petten abruptly resigned Friday after a Star Tribune inquiry found that taxpayers had reimbursed Van Petten for staying in his own timeshare unit when traveling.
"He's resigned. That speaks for itself," said Gov. Mark Dayton, who added that he would have asked for the resignation if Van Petten had not offered it.
Van Petten had been reimbursed for more than $7,000 after he and his staff stayed at his personal timeshare units during conferences in Las Vegas, Atlantic City and New Orleans, lottery travel records show.
The reimbursements appear to violate a state policy that forbids employees from being "reimbursed for staying at the house of a relative, friend, or personally owned property," according to Minnesota Management and Budget, the state's budget office.
Van Petten initially defended the timeshare arrangement in an interview, but he reversed course Friday morning after a meeting with Dayton's chief of staff.
"I made a mistake. I don't want to embarrass the governor," said Van Petten, who made $117,721 a year. "He's been wonderful to work with. So I submitted my resignation and they accepted."
In a brief resignation letter, he praised his lottery colleagues and said he was proud to work with them.
The Minnesota State Lottery is already facing scrutiny in court and by legislators after a wrongful termination lawsuit by a former top official raised the issue of excessive alcohol use at out-of-state conferences and meetings.