Parade celebrates America's birthday

Decorated tricycles, bicycles and wagons will roll down the street to wish a Happy Birthday to America on Wednesday morning.

The long-standing Shakopee tradition will begin at 10 a.m. with lineup at Lions Park, 1103 Adams St. The parade will get underway at 10:30 a.m. and be finished by about noon.

There will be entertainment and Popsicles afterward.

Parade watching and participating is free; no registration is required.

Half-off water park on July 4th holiday

SandVenture aquatic park will offer half-price admission on Independence Day.

The park features a sand beach leading to a sand-bottom chlorinated pool with a 300-foot water slide and other attractions. It will be open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and is at 1101 Adams St.


Happy Birthday to Recs the mascot

A birthday celebration and free beach party for Recs, the mascot of the Prior Lake Recreation Department, will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 10 at Sand Point Beach.

Activities will include face painting, fun hair coloring, games and crafts.

In case of bad weather, the party will be at Club Prior at the Prior Lake Library.

Annual boat parade party and fireworks

The Prior Lake Association will host its annual boat parade at 1 p.m. Saturday, starting on the upper lake opposite the former Captain Jack's site. A fireworks display will begin about 10 p.m. on Lower Prior Lake.

A fireworks show also will be held about 10 p.m. Saturday at Mystic Lake Casino, after the free "Rock and Rockets Fourth of July" party.

The party starts at 3 p.m. at the outdoor lower level parking lot. It will feature live music, food trucks, games and giveaways. Attendees should bring lawn chairs or blankets.


Preparing for emerald ash borer

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources said it's inevitable that the emerald ash borer, which has devastated ash trees in Minnesota and around the country, will soon be found in Shakopee and other parts of the south metro area.

In April, the Shakopee City Council approved a plan for managing the coming infestation. The plan called for treating about 40 percent of public ash trees and replacing the other 60 percent over the next eight years.

Homeowners also should make plans, the DNR said. Ash trees were a popular replacement tree for elms killed by Dutch elm disease in the 1960s. Depending on the size, condition and placement of trees, options could include chemical treatment or removal.

Residents are also reminded not to transport firewood and to dispose of trees locally such as at an organics recycling facility.

For more information on the emerald ash borer and caring for trees, go to


No spot-saving for parade, cruise

Residents and visitors are being warned not to place chairs, concrete blocks, blankets, stakes or any other objects along the street to save spots for the parade and for "Cruise Night," during the annual Pan-O-Prog celebration.

The Lakeville City Council, prompted by safety concerns last year, passed an ordinance that forbids items being used to hold spots before 9 a.m. on the day of the events. Items must be removed from the streets by midnight.

Cruise Night happens from 6:30 to 8 p.m. July 10 when more than 500 classic cars cruise down Holyoke Avenue. The route has been changed this year because of road construction. The vehicles will stay in the city and not go south of County Road 70.

The Grand Parade will be held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 11 on Holyoke Avenue in downtown Lakeville.


Music in the Park: The Splatter Sisters

The Splatter Sisters will offer music for kids and families from 7 to 8 p.m. July 8 at McColl Pond Environmental Learning Center, 13550 Dakota Av. S. People should bring lawn chairs or blankets.


Peter Pan with puppets at library

The Schiffelly Puppets will present "The High Frying Adventures of Peter Pan," from 6:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Belle Plaine Library.

The show is free and for all ages. It is funded by the Metropolitan Library Service Agency.

Pat Pheifer