Minneapolis' new organics pickup program won't roll out until the end of the year, but residents can now formally declare their interest in participating.

The new system of hauling organics waste, a key item in Mayor Betsy Hodges' 2015 budget, will eventually be available to one- to four-unit residences, but participants must voluntarily opt in.

City officials have said they expect about 40 percent of eligible homes to participate, even though all households served by city haulers — more than 100,000 residences — will see a $48 hike in their solid waste fees this year.

To participate in the program and receive a new green organics bin, residents can contact swrcustomer@minneapolismn.gov or call 612-673-2917.

But don't expect to see that cart soon. The carts will roll out in two phases determined by geographic area, beginning with 25 percent of the city this August and the remaining 75 percent in spring 2016.

The early sign-up will allow for time to order carts and to plan routes, according to a city statement.

Organics collection will include fruits, vegetables, meat, breads, pasta, nutshells, eggshells and coffee grounds, according to the city. It also includes food-soiled paper that can't be recycled in the blue cart.

The city says items not accepted include milk cartons, plastic-lined paper products, paper vacuum cleaner bags, liquids, oils, greases and fats.

Eric Roper • 612-673-1732

Twitter: @StribRoper