• There seems to be some great news for former Twins first baseman Justin Morneau, who began playing for Class AA New Britain on Friday in a rehab assignment as he tries to come back to the Rockies after suffering a concussion May 13. In New Britain, he is returning to a place he played at from 2001 to ’03 when the Rock Cats were a Twins affiliate.
• John Sullivan is one Vikings player who has the respect of every teammate, as noted by guard Brandon Fusco, who was quoted as saying about the center: “John Sullivan is a great, great player. He’s probably the smartest guy I have ever met in the game of football. I’m sure there’s not a center in the league who knows more than he does. It makes the game so much slower for me, mentally. It slows the game down and makes my job a lot easier.”
• ESPN recently released its preseason All-America list for college football, and of the 22 players listed the Gophers will face six this season: TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin, Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott, Colorado State wide receiver Rashard Higgins, Ohio State guard Pat Elflein, Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa and Ohio State safety Vonn Bell.
• Whatever else happens with this Twins season, they did manage to break an eight-year run of futility vs. the American League East. The Twins hadn’t had a winning record against the East since going 22-13 in 2006. Over the past eight seasons their combined record was 102-167 against that division. This year they went 19-14 and even swept the Orioles in all seven games.
• Carter Coughlin, the Eden Prairie linebacker who has already committed to the Gophers, got a bump from the new Rivals.com rankings as he was named a four-star linebacker and is ranked as the No. 18 outside linebacker in the country.