• It’s unfortunate the Gophers don’t have their 2016 football schedule this season, when they will play their first three games at home against Oregon State, Indiana State and Colorado State and don’t have to play Michigan, Ohio State or TCU like they do this season. They will have to play road games at Nebraska, Penn State and Wisconsin in 2016, however.
• Vikings coach Mike Zimmer on what he expects out of Sunday’s first preseason game against the Steelers: “We want to look crisp, we want to look sharp and I want to see the things that we have been practicing being taken to the game field. Whether it is techniques or alignments, certain things against people that you really haven’t prepared for and how they react to certain things that they’re not prepared for.”
• Offensive coordinator Norv Turner speaking about tight end Kyle Rudolph, who missed most of last season because of injuries: “I think Kyle’s having a good camp. We’re doing a lot of things with three wide receivers, and those guys are getting a lot of attention based on how our coverages are, but I think Kyle’s getting ready to really have a productive season.”
• Rumors are the new Vikings stadium is going to run way over budget, but Gov. Mark Dayton stands by his statement that it will only be about $15 million over the current projected cost. … The Vikings and MillerCoors recently announced a 10-year deal that will keep them as the team’s beer sponsor.
• Apparently Dave Adelman, the son of former Wolves coach Rick Adelman, will remain an assistant coach next season under Flip Saunders.
• Gophers pitcher Jordan Jess is dominating the Northwoods League with 44 strikeouts in 30⅔ innings of relief and a 1.46 ERA with the La Crosse Loggers.