A 19-year-old man suspected of fatally shooting another man playing basketball in Rochester and wounding two others was hunted down early Tuesday in a house in Faribault, Minn., and refused to surrender to police for hours until officers’ smoke bombs flushed him out, authorities said.

The man was wanted in the Monday afternoon killing of Trumane Gillmore, 22, of Rochester, outside the Parkside Mobile Home Park. Two other men, 20-year-old Demonterious Jackson, of Rochester, and 18-year-old Jerome Zachary, of Chicago, were shot and wounded in the same incident but are expected to survive, according to police.

Police said the three victims were playing basketball outside near Marion Road and Park Lane SE. when they were shot. Longfellow Choice Elementary School, across the street from the gunfire, was put on lockdown until the end of the school day.

The suspect, from Rochester, is in police custody but has yet to be charged. He is accused of shooting all three men, Rochester police Capt. John Sherwin said.

The gunman opened fire because he believed some of the men were responsible for robbing him of cash and possibly illicit narcotics and a watch, Sherwin said.

Faribault Police Chief Andy Bohlen described the standoff in the 500 block of 1st Street NW. as “potentially violent [and] unfortunate and certainly disruptive to the good residents of Faribault. Thankfully, it was resolved with great patience and the suspect was arrested without any injuries to civilians, law enforcement, bystanders and the subject wanted.”

According to police:

Authorities in Faribault determined about 1:30 a.m. that the suspect could be hiding in their city and spotted him at the house on 1st Street.

Officers and detectives surrounding the house saw the man inside. With the help of a Rice County emergency response unit and a Dakota County SWAT team, police sealed off the area around the house.

About 4 a.m., several people showed up at the house. Officers detained several adults and a child, but efforts to get the suspect and another man to leave the house were rebuffed.

As time passed, officers urged neighbors nearby to leave their homes or “remain secured” inside.

When verbal efforts to get the two men to leave the house failed, officers issued two loud warnings and launched “a few rounds of chemical irritant” through the windows.

The two men came out and were apprehended. Law enforcement entered the house to search for evidence and alerted neighbors that they could return to their homes and go about their normal routines.

Capt. Sherwin said he was unsure whether either man was armed while in the house. He said the gun believed to be the murder weapon was recovered earlier in a home in Rochester.